FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bect

You are strong and caring by remaining resilient in the presence of your dear mum despite your symptoms! I am the same as I have always done my best to help others and place myself last...(not proud of that though)

No apologies are necessary Bect...The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post/vent

my kind thoughts

Paul

Snelly
Community Member

This is the worst for me:

Cant breathe properly; lots of yawning

Tight chest and stomach

Tight neck and feeling of being unbalanced

Very weak legs, can't walk very well

Heavy sweating

Feeling scared

Every morning and sometimes during the day.

StayStrong85
Community Member

Hi all, this is my first time using forums to discuss my anxiety. I've been suffering with anxiety since the birth of my first daughter, 7 years ago now. I constantly worry that there is something wrong with me whenever I get a pain I think the worst. For 3 weeks now I've been getting on and off pains in my chest, indigestion like feelings, i also suffer from migraines. The little pains in my chest have made my anxiety worse... I'm just so tired of feeling this way. Does anyone else on here get the little pains I'm talking about? They aren't there all the time but probably happens a few times a day. Reading about physical symptoms of anxiety has helped me a little though, now i know how common they are.

Hi Everyone and thanks to Annabay for the very helpful thread topic!

Hi Snelly....Thankyou for being a part of the forums and helping out with sharing your symptoms...Your symptoms are like mine used to be...horrible...yet reducible. This is my 37th year dealing with these symptoms even though they have reduced in intensity. You are not alone....I hope you have a GP that you can talk to as they can help us on the rocky road to recovery

Hi StayStrong85!

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for your helpful contribution too 🙂

You are not alone on your feelings of indigestion....I have had the same for a long time as well...Can I ask if you have the burning feeling in your throat?

Subject to your GP's opinion..(diagnosis)....Chest pains can be a common symptom of anxiety...especially any tight breathing. Anxiety can produce an oversupply of adrenaline which can cause tightness in the chest and sometimes chest pain too unfortunately

Migraines are awful to have...especially if we have to close the curtains to avoid light...Can be another common symptom of any level of anxiety

Thankyou for taking the time to read this thread StayStrong....The forums are a safe and non judgmental place for you to post. If you have any questions please ask away 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul

Thank you so much for your reply Paul. I don't have any burning in my throat at all.

Unfortunately I've had migraines since the age of 13, I'm now 34! They are almost always brought on by stress/anxiety.

I'm trying hard really hard not to focus on the pains, when I'm busy i don't really notice them. It's when I'm by myself i focus on them and notice them more...

thank you again

Hi StayStrong85

Thanks for taking the time to post back!

Re the migraines....My brother has them frequently as a result of stress and anxiety as well..You have also had them for a long time too.....ugh!

If your neck and shoulder muscles are like 'concrete' to the touch...(prior to or during a migraine) its usually a red flag that we are undergoing some ongoing stress in our lives....yet you would probably be aware of that anyway

You experiencing these pains when you are by yourself can sometimes mean that you may be overthinking/concerned about various matters which can end up with the neck and shoulder muscles tightening thus opening the gate for the migraines....Just a thought if thats okay

As you have read above in this thread....some posters including myself are affected in the digestive areas which is also awful during times of stress...like a migraine I think

Just my humble opinion StayStrong....These occasional pains in your chest (subject to your doc's opinion) can also be as a result of stress too...When we are stressed our chest muscles do tighten...a lot sometimes and cause us some pain

Can I ask about the 'indigestion like feelings' you mentioned? That would help me understand what you are going through.....You mentioned that you have had these chest pains for about 3 weeks....Have you had any issues in the last few weeks that have been on your mind?

you are an amazing proactive person StayStrong! Your well being is paramount to Beyond Blue and the forums

There are no expectations for you to reply unless you wish to and at your own convenience

my kind thoughts....Have a great New Year too 🙂

Paul

The indigestion isn't too bad, my doc has put me on reflux tablets which I think are helping ease that.

I keep trying to tell myself that I'll be ok, yesterday I tried to stay positive and didn't notice the chest pains as much. But as soon as I went to bed in the quiet, the panic started & they increased.

They feel like little sparks, sometimes I feel them in other parts of my body too...

Going to try focus on all the good things again today. My husband has been amazing throughout the past years. Very supportive so I'm very lucky in that department!

Thank you

Hi Everyone...New members are welcome to post too 🙂

Hey StayStrong85......Thankyou for being a part of the discussion! You are fortunate to have a super supportive husband! Its only my humble opinion...those little 'spark' feelings could be adrenaline causing the muscles to 'ping'or spasm..especially when you mentioned having mild indigestion and anxiety levels increasing when you are alone

You are strong for focusing on the positives StayStrong85

Paul

The difficulty for me seems to be disentangling what's normal(ish), what's caused by other things, and what's caused by anxiety.

*Tension - I get this upon waking up, or at most shortly thereafter. It's probably a state a mind as much as a physical thing
*Abdominal tension - A '2nd tier' form of anxiety as best I can tell. Abdominal muscles trying to contract? Can last for hours though.
*Chest tension - Variant of the above as best I can tell
*Pressure in head - Not a headache, just a pressure feeling.
*Abdominal distention? Not certain on this one but on occasion it feels like there's a lot of pressure to 'swell out' and I don't think food is the cause.
*Abdominal pain due to tension - The worst physical side effect I've noted, but not one I've had of late.

I think my other physical issues are due to other causes e.g. blurred vision due to tiredness\not paying attention, fatigue due to chronic fatigue etc, but things may overlap and interweave making things ... complicated.

heartburn
Community Member
I get heartburn. My boss is a real so and so and appears to take pleasure in tormenting me. I am much better when I am not at work.