FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What do i need to be treated for

Unravel
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My story could go several thousand words long, but im at work and i don't have the time to write that or bore you with all the details. 7 years ago i had a couple of panic attacks out of nowhere due to extreme fear, which put me into hospital for a couple of days.

The very first few months was terrible, trying all kinds of different medications i found one that didn't make me sick. very quickly i developed GAD, for a whole year i couldn't watch tv or radio or see any bad news going on in the world as it would trigger me to have a panic attack. Fast forward to now, and i havent been on medication for about 2 years. I have had 2 kids, been through a somewhat serious surgery, and been through issues with my wife which developed GBS. Very tough times i have been through a lot, but survived it.

Today i work full time, support my family and life is pretty good. Until i realise that i'm never getting better and every day is a struggle with my anxiety. I have always thought that a panic attack is the type of attack that would put me in hospital, so when people ask me do i get them i say no. but after doing some reading, i realise that i get them all the time.. im just really good at handling it so that it doesnt consume me and put me into hospital. i can control it over 10 minutes or so when it happens, but the truth is i guess i do get panic attacks all the time.

Simple everyday tasks like driving, if i drive further than i like, that brings on serious anxiety for me. Yesterday i took my family to the circus which i have never been to, yes that was hard sitting in a tight space and looking for any exit i could as soon as i walked in. once i started seeing the circus performers up really high with no ropes doing crazy things, that triggered me, but i calmed myself. simple things like this i believe are actually panic attacks but i am just good at controlling them.

Anyway I have decided i might try some medication again to see if i can make my every day life more comfortable. Previously i have been on medication which i found out helps GAD but not Panic Disorder. Im starting to think maybe i need to think about a different medication specifically for panic disorder? general doctors can only know so much about everything. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be doing? thanks.

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Unravel,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post.

I will just say first that we aren't allowed to recommend or give advice on specific medication.

It sounds like you've been managing anxiety well for a long time, and I'm sorry that you're still having these panic attacks even if they are small and manageable.

The one thing that I would like to recommend is to see a therapist. While medication can be useful, therapy can be incredibly beneficial. Knowing the things that trigger you are important (like long drives), but the difference between anxiety and a panic attack is that you can start to manage it before it escalates. What happens when you have a panic attack? Challenging your thoughts such as 'where is this fear coming from?' 'What am I afraid of?' can all help. Of course the way panic attacks present in everyone is different; but it may just be building on the skills you already have to help minimise the impact of it so that you don't get them.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Unravel, there are so many people who have panic attacks and this includes those on this site, so you're not talking 'double dutch', we know what you are saying.
Is there any preemptive measure to stop any panic attacks, well yes, if you know your surroundings, what's likely to happen, who is involved, avoid running away, focus on what's going on and remember to avoid that particular situation again, however can this happen everytime, no, not really, but it can be helped by taking medication.
Remember that you're had GAD and your wife has GBS which is indeed a terrible illness, so these are still there and can be quickly aroused once again, so your panic attacks need to helped by medication. and once you believe that you may have it under control, then is certainly not the time to stop taking this medication, because if you do, then it's only going to come back, it needs to be kept under control. Geoff.