FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Unification of a nation and great leaders

Elephant86
Community Member

There are many times as a nation we face great adversity but we as a nation must rise to the challenge and never let our difficulties defeat us. There have been times in history when our nations resolve has been test and I feel this is one of those times . The decision for the voice was a going to be a great pivot in our society opening the opportunity for better outcomes in the future for Australia.

I want to take you back into history where similar more profound decisions where made.

There have been great leaders in history like abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King who also stood on the presopose of there powerful ever canging decision in history.

Do we as a society take a step back and let others make the decision for us or do we make the powerful decision ourselves.

When history looks back at the vioce decision do you think we have made the right choice. We always need to stand behind our people and always lend a hand and give strength. There are many turning points in history where we go down one path or another I feel this is one of those times.

You must stand with our aboriganal brothers and sisters and give them the strength to stand and keep walking on the path of justice and rightousness. I feel that everyone has a right to the decisions they make but I feel this decision could have been a powerful support to aboriganal communities.

You must always walk in another persons shoes to go through what there going through to feel the hardship and difficulties to truly know what there life is like.

Always look at things from another's prespective and realise that you need to look and care about other people who are struggling through hardship and difficulties.

We need to stand as one nation to stand against the tide of history to help cange our nation for the better so we can all live in a powerful prosperous land where the opportuntities are open to all who wish to have it.

You mustn't pass judgment on others if you don't know there situation you must always come from a place of love and understanding and always look after the vunerable and disadvantaged.

It is still with in our power to make a change and a difference to our vunerable aboriganal communities you just show you care and stand with this powerful aboriganal community.

There are many beautiful artistic paintings that are part of the culture. There are more then 150 langauges that are spoken no where else on earth. There is many bush foods that are grown no where else on earth.

We as a society have a decision to make and I choose to stand with my brothers and sisters and offer support and guidance in there time of hardship. There many communities that would be feeling sad at this time.

I want to say to everyone light a candle to symbolise hope and renewal of our nation.

We hold the light with in our hands to light the path to a more powerful future it is up to the decisions that you make that will giude out of the dark with a candle into the light.

Stand together and show love and forgivness to all and remember you are never alone in the dark always walk towards the beautiful light.

I stand and pray for aboriganal communities at this time and I wish you a more powerful beautiful future.

Stand as one nation under god to a beautiful more powerful future

Abraham Lincoln

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi there, 

We appreciate the different perspectives in this thread, particularly around the themes of empathy, compassion and self-agency. It is important that we are all able to share our individual journeys and having empathy for others in our community regardless of where they may be in their personal journey.

Has anyone had an experience where another person's empathy has made a positive difference in their mental health? Sometimes having a friend ask if you're ok can make all the difference and marks a turning point in our lives. Looking forward to hearing from our lovely community!

As always if this conversation has bought any feelings to the surface we can be contacted through one of the lovely Beyond Blue counsellors, feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636, or you can reach them through Online Chat here

We appreciate the thought provoking conversation.

Kind regards, 

Sophie M 

randomxx
Community Member

Deeply saddened of the voice out come and tbh l feel some shame of my own country once again and of our people.

This was such an opportunity and something Australia is soooooo far behind the ball on compared to other countries like nz , Canada and many others but yet now, we are just continuing on the same path of 200yrs.

l'm in disbelief tbh.

Very proud though that some of the states are standing up now individually and bringing in their own voice instead, SA and Vic so far that l know of , bloody brilliant and l pray all the others will have the courage to do the same.

rx

Elephant86
Community Member

In the future what do you wish Australia to be?

Do we want to have a country which is divided and seperated forever or do we work together and a unifed community with a country of compassion ,love and understanding that respects everybodies point of view and accepts our diffrences as a nation and wants to plant the seed of unification and realise we are all the same we all are more beautiful for our differences if we where all the same we wouldn't have different people in different jobs we would all be office workers with no one to build our houses or make a delious meal for dinner like master chef on TV.

We as a society we need to celebrate everyones unique differences because that is what makes us powerful and gives us the strength to walk forward not backwards.

Did you know a kangaroo can't walk backwards because it is always looking to the future prosperity of the nation. We are so much more powerful together as one nation working on our strengths and how we come together and look at everybodies talent and what they can bring to the nation.

It could be the simple cook or the humble builder?

Our nation needs to be bult on love , compassion and understanding and understanding and always giving everyone the opportunity to make a life for themselve.

Even me I am an immagrant but I came with the attitude that I want to help and contribute to our wonderful country we must not judge a man on colour give him a job and see him feed his family and strengthen his community. Everybody deserves the chance to prove that they can come to Australian and make a diffrence to those they love.

Remember we are more powerful and beautiful together as a unified nation and you must realise people are different for a reason because the world would be so boring If we where all the same.

We as a society must learn to forgive and give us a chance as a community and society to heal the problems of the past and say:

What do you see or want in Australia's future?

That is the powerful question I want you to think about.

What future do I want australia to have?

What country do I wish my children to grow up in?

I have a dream that as a society we plant the seed of unity where we can create peace and harmony in the unverse and we can look at the stars and admire the true awsome universe. We won't see this future come to light if we don't come together and put our differences aside and choose to look at our differences as strengths to be harnessed for the betterment of our society to build a more powerful and prosperous future.

We are all plants in the garden of life and there are different plants with different abilities and we need to show love, empathy and understanding to all plants.

We are all wonderful and beautiful plants with wonderful gifts to share in society. 

Strength comes from our differences not from being the same.

Cook a meal in of your cultural food and share in your work place and smile and laugh with collgues

Look for different ways in your community to bring our country together that is how we stand unified.

Remember hug and kiss your neighbours and laugh in this beautiful nation we call Australia.

Always look towards what brings us together not what tears us apart.

Stand and protect our brothers and sisters and never take for granted we live in our special land of opportunity our wonderful Australia.

Love, hugs and joy to anyone reading this and remember to hug your family and especially your neighbours.

We are more powerful together then a part   

Hi Elephant

I understand your perceptions but wonder how far such dreams will take us Re: "I have a dream that as a society we plant the seed of unity ".

There is nothing wrong with having dreams and indeed sharing them however I question how realistic dreams are in terms of today, right now, they are long term only.

I've seen many times in my 67 years, racism in this country, being raised in the western suburbs of Melbourne where immigrants made up about 90% or more of society including my school, where I was the only kid with a heritage in Australia beyond one generation. Then as an adult with some contact with investigations taking me interstate mixing with white Australians dealing with indigenous peoples and listening to the spite after working hours against our aboriginal brothers and sisters.

So in essence I agree with the dream as a far away goal that in this century wont be achievable. Therefore I prefer to mix such dreams into practical baby steps many of us can take to make all races level, even, equal. 

Here on this mental health forum we have people having difficulties fitting into society due to their illness/restrictions. Most of us are not indigenous. If it is hard for us as non indigenous then the difficulties indigenous people have in fitting into colonial life from the UK 230 years ago. That only 9 generations to assimilate to our early UK culture from people that have remained at a much less developed culture. Their less development was so because they didnt have a need to develop in the European way, they were quite content to be as they were and rightly so. How difficult it must have been to fit into the new Australia they faced.

So I dont see the dream as very relevant, it is a theory and although an ok one it isnt productive , better to answer posts here on the struggles. Far better I believe to join groups that advance the indigenous cause to make life happier, to join political parties that aim for that. Reality is- the people that live near us or work beside us many of them hold racist views or they dont appreciate the difficulties indigenous people have faced and to counter that takes more than a dream.

TonyWK

Trouble is op , unfortunately you'd be preaching in the wrong forum here bc most of us here would probably want the same things.

Sadly though this place isn't filled with the typical and if you really hoped to change some things l'm afraid l'd have to agree with Tony bc lt's been 25yrs of mostly very hard materialistic gdp and money money soulless gov's that have made this huge impact on this country in all those ways and l believe built our people into what they largely seem to have become these days.

Yet once again we atm do have one in that wants to make some serious changes they aren't perfect either but at least they're trying in some ways but the power and hardness of people these days and the other side , literally run them into the dirt without feeling one thing for it, there's even a tv channel devoted to just that.

So yeah , you sound young enough and so politics or something as big as that and reaching as many people would be a great place to start.

There's also another Aus forum with 100s of 1000s of people in it but it isn't a mh health forum and l'm amazed at mostly just how hard and materialistic the whole place seems to be apart from a handful. Starts with W and that place sadly made me truly ashamed of our people and what we've become here, if that place is anything to go by.

So if you want to start with forums then that one will def' give you some work.

All the best,keep the faith.

rx