FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tired and nervous

Robbo5715
Community Member

I work in a dead end job that’s easy but doesn’t pay well. My son has moved to London and my wife wants us to visit. I don’t get holidays and will have to organise someone to relieve me. It’s been 6 years since I’ve had a holiday. The airfares will cost over $4k, she wants to go for 3 weeks, I’m worried my job won’t be there when I get back. She is keen to visit London and travel around Europe, I can’t see how we can afford it, also I really don’t want to go. She thinks there is something wrong with me. I’m so sad. I tried to kill my self seven years ago, nothing seems to have improved.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Robbo5715

We are really sorry to hear about all of things that you are facing at the moment, it sounds like you are managing a lot right now. Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with us today, you never know when someone else will read this and feel less alone in their own life.

If you ever feel unsafe, it is important to call 000 or our friends at Lifeline on 13 11 14.

You can also call us anytime on 1300 22 4636 if you ever want to chat.

Thanks again for reaching out, please feel free to drop back in and share how you're feeling or join other conversations that you relate to.

Sophie M

Flop
Community Member

Hey Robbo,

Really sorry to hear how you're feeling. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through.

Exploring Europe is extremely expensive, which is why you don't see each and every person traveling around the world. There's nothing wrong with that not being your idea of a good time. Traveling the world, or going over seas is something you save up to do, I'm sure you have savings, but I mean in a more comfortable situation... not something you do on a whim. I understand your wife's desire to see your child, and I'm sure you very much feel the same in that regard, however, as you know in your current situation that is not something you can just up and do. 

Maybe your wife isn't aware of your financial situation, or even your emotional state? A heart to heart with her could go a long way.

I don't have the answers, but I wish I did. Just know you aren't alone and I hope this bought some solace. You sound like a good man Rob.

Wish you the best.

Robbo5715
Community Member

Thank you Flop, you’re right about the need to talk. I sort of feel I’ve been pushed into this (the trip) without being asked and now feel angry. When the anger goes I’ll try talking. Once again, thank you.