FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Thanatophobia

Apricit123
Community Member
Does anybody experience thanatophobia also know as death anxiety.? I have this and it's so hard to live with everyday I always scared I'm going to die.
3 Replies 3

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Apricit@@123,

Thank you for sharing how you’re feeling. I can understand how overwhelming it must be to have this constant anxiety hanging over you every day. I have definitely experienced such worries myself, especially living through a pandemic, these thoughts can be hard to avoid.

One way I like to calm my mind is through meditation. Meditation can help still your mind and all the thoughts that are swirling around. Most importantly, it helps bring you back to the present, so you’re not worrying about what might happen in the future. I would suggest searching up a meditation guide video on YouTube or the guided meditation app, Lojong, to help get you started.

If thanatophobia is making it hard for you to live your normal life, talking to a therapist might be helpful. You can find someone to talk to here at Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or you may want to contact your GP and ask them about referring you to a psychologist.

Hope you find some reprieve.

Beeee

Notmyfirstrodeo
Community Member
Oh yes. It is such a debilitating fear, and one that is really good at filling your mind and distracting you from good things that might be happening around you. I think it’s natural to have fears about death, it is a great unknown, but when it becomes something that impacts you everyday, getting support from professionals is a great idea. I like Beees suggestion that meditation can help ground us in the here and now and not focused on fears or the future. I have used the Insight Timer app too, it’s got a huge range of talks on different topics and guided meditations - I like working my way through the anxiety busting ones! If you can do one regularly, it can start to help, along with talking with your GP or the Beyond Blue helpline, which I have used many times and is consistently amazing

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Apricit@@123,

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand these types of thoughts can be very distressing.

Have you been taught how to challenge these thoughts?

As Beeee has mentioned meditation is very useful… it just takes practice.

When you are experiencing these thoughts try not to give them your full attention just let them come and go…….. ( this is where practicing meditation can come in handy.

Have you seeked professional help for this?

Try not to question the thoughts.