FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Terrified for America

Doberman38
Community Member

Hi everyone.

The sharp rightwood turn and constant political chaos in America is really having a impact. I'm getting more and more worried that in the near future it will turn into a dictatorship, with political purges and another Holocaust. I thought things would have calmed down since the last election, but it seems it's just been getting worse and worse and I don't see any signs that this can be changed. I try to think that surely people won't let all that happen, but I'm really losing faith. I'm increasingly feeling like there's no point being optimistic. It is seriously distracting me and sucking out all my joy.

17 Replies 17

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Doberman38,

I agree with you, what has happened in US is a tragedy, it's so heartbreaking. But I believe this has also aroused reflection in American society, and things will gradually develop for the better.

We should be grateful to live in Australia, it's safe here.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Doberman38,

I’m sorry you are feeling this way.

But please try to remember that we can’t control what happens in life but we can always control how we react to it.

Thats where your power is.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Doberman, whatever happened in the USA is deplorable, losing the lives of young adolescents is unforgivable and for what reason.

We can't control what happens o/s but we have to make sure this type of event certainly doesn't here in Australia.

My thoughts are with all the families.

Geoff.

Doberman38
Community Member

Thank you all so much, everyone.

I've significantly calmed down since the end of yesterday - I was getting an awful headache from all the worrying and that was a big signal to me that I had to give it a rest. I need to accept that it's absolutely useless to paralyse yourself with worry as it will do nothing to help, especially if it is over something that probably won't even happen.

I should also remind myself that I actually am doing something, however limited, by stressing to American friends the importance of engaging in societal pressure, such as protests and the like, to combat this stuff - so I (and pretty much everyone) are not really as powerless as we think we are.

I'm going to try to keep up my positive mindset 🙂

Hi Doberman

I don't remember who it was who said this to me, but they made the point that the problems in the US arise there and therefore they will find a solution to it. Perhaps it is not the best counsel, however I do believe that it is something to consider.

As well as that, US has since its earliest days been a country of wild opposites.

Aline SM
Community Member

Hi Doberman38, I'm sorry that you're feeling like this and good on you for acknowledging it and sharing your worries. Sharing always helps us to get through!

One thing I realised is that there's a big difference between being informed of what is happening in the world and digging up every detail and information about it. I'm saying this because I used to get very anxious with all the bad and sad news until I realised I have no power over what's happening and worrying and knowing every little piece of information had its toll on me and that wasn't helpful to anyone - specially myself.

What helps me to deal with all these is remembering I want to know only enough to be informed and not living under a rock but not digging to deep. Also, I've made a pact to myself: for each bad news I read / see / listen, I need to see 3 good news. It's silly but it helps a lot to keep in perspective! Hope it helps you!

Hi Doberman38,

I also find it stressful to hear about what is happening in America. What is happening on the news can truly shock me sometimes. I really like what @Petal22 wrote about our power being in controlling our reactions as this is the only thing we can really control. I am so glad you have been feeling better and managing the feelings in your way!

We are definitely here for you and you are not alone!

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Doberman38,

Good to know that you've managed to find your way to calm down. And great awareness!

And yes, every positive try is meaningful. Maybe not just stress our American friends, but also giving them our emotional support. Us is a great country because of it's strong capability of self-reflection and self-evolution, they will learn lessons and change will happen.

Resolute459
Community Member
You should worry but you aren't alone. America, right now, is and has been its worst more than ever. It is something I went through March 2020 and now I am hoping to be great never again. Oh, I talk big. And they stomp me out. You should try your GP, medication can be hard, but it helps.