FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Teacher anxiety

KG07
Community Member

Hello,

I am a teacher and before every lesson, I have anxiety about the class. Anxiety about not being able to control the students, anxiety that I won't know everything that they ask of me, anxiety that I won't be liked and/or respected. And what is so frustrating is that I feel like I am two different people. My rational side can have an answer for all of those fears and worries I have and yet, I still come back to having those same anxieties. I'm also really hard on myself and if I think I've 'lost' my students. I beat myself up about it for the next couple of hours. I really love teaching but also hate it because of the anxiety. I feel like I am the only teacher who feels this way and it is so isolating - every other teacher looks so confident and like they don't care. There are probably some teachers who would think the same as me as I act confident. I'm just wondering if I am the only one.

7 Replies 7

Conky
Community Member
Hello! I am in my 11th year of teaching. You are NOT alone. I have worked in numerous roles in several schools. What you are talking about is common, though I know that doesn't make it easier. As a fellow teacher I am grateful that you have chosen this profession as you are trying to make a deeper positive change in the world. 💐💗

Conky
Community Member
Teaching is the monster we embrace and run away from all at the same time!

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Definitely you are not alone.

My daughter had anxiety so bad she no longer teaches. Having been her "rock" for several years I've seen the result of stress in your profession.

According to her at the time some of the issues were

• Doing work for other teachers
  • Dealing with parents
  • Taking work home
  • Other

My anxiety peaked in 1987 and I eliminated it by 2012 , fully. That's a long time but there is a number of things that made significant impact early on-

• Had therapy to get issues into proper perspective
  • Appropriate medication initially
  • Lifestyle changes eg move to the country
  • Relaxation techniques

I've listed some threads that can help. Please google and read the first post of each

Beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

Beyondblue topic meditation, maharaji he helped me for 25 years

Beyondblue topic worry worry worry

Repost anything

TonyWK

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi KG07,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that anxiety can be very difficult to deal with I also suffered with severe anxiety but have now recovered thanks to the professional help I received.

Have you ever been taught how to challenge your thoughts? It’s a very useful strategy.

Have you thought about discussing how you are feeling with your gp and how your anxiety is affecting your life?

You could do a mental health plan with your gp this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many strategies to help you to manage your anxiety.

You can learn how to manage your anxiety you just need to learn the tools to help you to do this.

KG07
Community Member
Thanks so much Conky. I take great comfort in what you have written. I think a big part of my issue was feeling like I was the only one feeling this way.

Thanks very much TonyWK. Moving to the country is something that my husband and I are thinking about doing. I will check out the other things you suggested. I’m a Christian so I have God to help me who is always faithful to me.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi

I've lived in a number of towns since leaving the city 35 years ago.

I've found that towns 3500-6000 in population is the best bet. Those towns usually have-

• Medical facilities
  • At least one supermarket
  • Clubs
  • Less than 3 traffic lights
  • People like to know you by name
  • A large park
  • Within 40 minutes of a country city

etc

Country cities seem to me to be just like major cities.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

TonyWK