FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Strange physical anxiety symptoms!

Kamima
Community Member
So about 2 years I had a major anxiety panic disorder break down, very physical symptoms for me and while I overcome that terrible time, from time to time since then I still get physical feelings from anxiety but I can control it to a extent "kind of" but in the last 3 days my hands well a couple fingers have been kind of freezing up not doings what I want them to, mainly my left hand, alongside my pins and needles in left arm, and Google tells me I have MS! Which I sopose could be right! Is there anyone else with aniexty out there that understands this finger feeling and gets it??!!! 
5 Replies 5

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Karmima and welcome to the Beyond Blue forums!

I would avoid using Google to self diagnose as it isn't the most accurate and can often just lead to more anxiety. 

The best thing to do would be to visit your GP, as it isn't an anxiety symptom I'm aware of or have experienced myself, and the doctor will be able to find other possible causes through an analysis of your lifestyle, diet, sleeping habits etc.

Good luck!

Crystal

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Kamima, hi and welcome to the forum.

I would absolutely agree with Crystal in that there are many diagnosis that the net will provide and normally we pick up on the worse condition and presume that that's what we have.

You do really need to see your doctor and once he/she has told you what problem you may have then you could browse the net, however you still have to be cautious in how you interpret what it says to you. Geoff.

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Kamima,

much like the previous two, I'd advise strongly against self-diagnosing via google. It almost always causes more anxiety than solves problems. Whenever I'm highly anxious I experience a huge range of symptoms from nausea, headaches, chills up my spine, cold lips to lower back pain. There's no concrete set of symptoms that people with severe anxiety experience. 

It's becoming increasingly recognised by the medical community that the brain and mind are so intertwined that we can make ourselves extremely physically ill without an actual biological disease. At the same time I would err on the side of caution and speak with your GP.

Best of luck, 

Pat.

Coggles
Community Member

Yeah I find looking at Google stressed me out even more then it is worth. True what they say

Google is the best way to convince yourself you are dying.

i am trying to avoid Google to look that type of things up. Best go to the doctor.

it isn't common but numbness can occur in sevre anxiety I know as it happened to me when I was at my worst.

all test clear even MRI tons of blood tests to boost. I think the worst part of it all is when the doctors say it is just in your head and that is that. But in the end a clear lot of tests are better then a bad one. 

When I searched google it was coming up with a immunodeficiency disease and even after several tests all came back negative. So it is great news. Unfortunately doesn't stop me thinking about it though.

hope all works out well for you.

Kennaugh8
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Kamima,

I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved for you but I can relate exactly to what you are talking about. I was told in a throw away comment from a doctor that I might have MS. Sure enough, within a day, I was experiencing every symptom that google related to MS. I had every test done and found out that it wasn't that at all. I had the tingling and numbness that you speak of in the left arm and fingers. The only way to put my mind at ease was to go and get an MRI to show that I was completely fine. If you are still feeling these symptoms, I would advise you to go and see your GP and if that doesn't satisfy you, get a referral for an MRI. The feeling of not knowing is one of the hardest things to experience. I hope this finds you well and that you are no longer feeling these symptoms and anxiety.

Chris