FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Shortness of Breath - Panic Disorder - Anyone? Someone? - I feel like my life is over at 25

Nickname1
Community Member

Hi All,

I suffered my first panic attack just a few weeks back. I saw a GP which Beyond Blue referred me to, but he was no good, or I was just to negative. I saw a psychologist for the first time last Thursday and she told me exactly what that GP told me. 

That I have to read some printed materials and control my breathing. I honestly find that it isn't helping me at all. What is some writing on a piece of paper going to do to make me better is what I'm thinking. Meditation doesn't work for me, neither do those slow deep breathing techniques.  Surely my only way out isn't to start taking anti depressants or similar medication? I DO NOT WANT MEDICATION AT ALL AS I FEAR ADDICTION.

I have one or two panic attacks a day almost, and I'm always trying to go for "that breath" all day whether I'm in the middle of panic attack or not. My symptoms are there 24/7 basically. Shortness of breath, tight in the chest, can't breathe basically.

I go to bed each night now hoping that I may wake up feeling better the next morning, however this is not the case. I find myself gasping for that breath almost within 2 minutes of being awake.

Is anyone else experiencing or has experienced the same as myself? 

I feel so scared that this will be with me for the rest of my life now, and that I'll get depression eventually and of course not be able to live life to the fullest again. Maybe I need to stop being so negative?

Thank you if you took the time to read and reply.

3 Replies 3

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

I'm not sure if the GP or psych have explained what happens to you during a panic attack but it's pretty much your body responding to a perceived threat and preparing you to fight the threat or flee. It's a physiological defence mechanism that gets activated by environmental triggers. In the case of a panic attack it's usually something really anxiety provoking that we can't quite wrap our heads around and tell ourselves it's not going to do us harm. E.g. being in a crowded place.

When this happens our brain sends a cascade of chemical signals throughout our body, releasing chemicals like adrenaline to prep our bodies for action. When we get in this state there isn't a whole lot we can do to stop these reactions, but the first step is to slow your breathing which will reduce your heart beat. It's really hard to convince yourself to do it, but from my personal experience with panic attacks it's the only one that works.

Also, if you are prescribed medication it would most likely be SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). SSRIs are not addictive as they don't work on the pleasure chemical (dopamine). You can not become addicted to SSRIs and many people find them extremely beneficial. I have personally had addiction problems with painkillers and alcohol and even been to rehab. The entire time I was prescribed SSRIs and I could not have functioned without them. 

As for meditation, it's incredibly hard to get started but it's like practicing a sport. The more you try the better you get. I meditate every day. Sometimes twice a day. I haven't had a panic attack in over 9 months. I used to get them every day. Don't be too quick to dismiss it. And if you feel like you don't connect with your GP or psychologist it's always fine to seek treatment from another. It took me a bit of time before i found a psychologist I really clicked with and he has helped me enormously.

Also, make sure you're getting exercise, connecting with friends and stick around on the forums here if you need to ask more questions. We're all here to help. All the best,

Pat.

Jasperw
Community Member

Hi,

I have dealt with panic attacks and anxiety for over 7 years. When I first got help I was introduced to mindfulness meditation, breathing techniques and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, none of which helped me very much. What has been of immense  help recently  was a program created by Greg Neville of the Anti-Depression  Institute.

To find Greg's work, search for "Greg Neville" or "Depression Rescue" on youtube

The "depression rescue" program is all free on youtube.

Hope this helps.

Jasper

Rollin
Community Member

Hi Nickname1

What causes your anxiety? You definitely need to feel better in yourself thats the first step. There are lots of advice on this as you probably already know. Just writing this makes me feel useful. 

Regards