FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas for helping you manage symptoms of anxiety. Feel free to add to the list, or let us know what works for you...

Mindfulness – Grounding exercises: noticing your environment, bodily sensations, and breath

Progressive Muscle Relaxation – Creating a Tension and Release effect with all the muscles in the body

Opposite Actions – By listening to calming music, taking a walk, talking, enjoying sunshine

Safe Place Mental Imagery – Visualising a place where you can go in your mind to feel safe

Calming Affirmations – To help recognise that the moment of panic will pass

Exercise – A valuable way to exhaust excess adrenalin built up in the body

[Moderator's note: this thread is for sharing what has worked for you to manage your anxiety. If you need support to manage your anxiety and would like to discuss this with the community, please start a new thread.

See also:

Anxiety management strategies

Worry worry worry

]

300 Replies 300

CatDev321
Community Member
I have just found out that I have mild Anxiety. Just learnt a breathing technique that will help. Breathe through your nose and out through your mouth 10 times. And also your favourite song, sing that. 

Zoostar84
Community Member

Recently when given the opportunity I stop what I am doing and meditate in the sun for 10 mins.

Work can be quite busy and noisy at times so sometimes I have morning tea outside in the sun

I find the progressive muscle relaxation combined with mindfulness. We recorded our CBT guy doing it and I carry it on my phone so it's there when I need. Just takes about 20 minutes. 

I have a progressive muscle relaxation audio track on a portable hard drive which I find very helpful. It goes for about 20 mins also. I am interested in the progressive muscle relaxation combined with mindfulness which you suggested smitasam

Hi there,

I have GAD and I'm always on the search for quick,helpful tips.

Thabkyou for sharing these tips! I'll write them down and refer back to them often 🙂 

StaticRose51
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi wonderful post.

Some things I've found helpful to manage Anxiety are:

Cutting out or limiting Caffeine: Switching to Herbal teas like Chamomile.

Colouring In, Painting, Photography and Sketching: It helps to have a hobby it makes us kinder to ourselves.

Meditation or Guided Meditation:  This helps us relax and feel calmer in tough situations. 

Muscle Relaxation Exercises:  Exercises that help to relieve tension in your body. 

Breathing exercises: ​Can sometimes help when you have night terrors or other stresses.

Exercise:  Makes us feel good and keeps us fitter. 

I really enjoyed reading all the other responses as well, I think theres a lot more out there to try!

Thank you,

~Stacy

Hey Everyone 🙂

"Calm and True Acceptance" (Ref: Dr Claire Weeks..RIP...Self Help For Your Nerves) A small paperback/download that is written in plain English without any jargon...Its old..but it works..

Turn off any cellphones/ipads'tablets before going to sleep...They will only increase your thought processes/brain activity and hinder a quality REM (rapid eye movement) sleep 🙂

Kind Thoughts

Paul

RYT
Community Member

Hello,

I actually found this book to be extremely comforting, and entertaining at times. A great pick me up when times are getting tough..

"Opening the Door of Your Heart" by Ajahn Brahm.

This was recommended to me by someone who also suffers from anxiety and depression. 

Regards,

Bek

Doctor who_aspy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

the best way that i have found is to do something with your hands such as colouring in or knitting. I find as long as my hands are active then the anxiety is reduces.

hope that helps

Hi Mickey, I too do mental maths, like working out my budget. When I shop I calculate my shopping. Anxiety is ebbs and flows, not a daily thing for me but I do get anxious about not getting enough sleep therefore I dont sometimes lol. I also do crosswords.

This post was very helpful to know Im not the only one.