FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas for helping you manage symptoms of anxiety. Feel free to add to the list, or let us know what works for you...

Mindfulness – Grounding exercises: noticing your environment, bodily sensations, and breath

Progressive Muscle Relaxation – Creating a Tension and Release effect with all the muscles in the body

Opposite Actions – By listening to calming music, taking a walk, talking, enjoying sunshine

Safe Place Mental Imagery – Visualising a place where you can go in your mind to feel safe

Calming Affirmations – To help recognise that the moment of panic will pass

Exercise – A valuable way to exhaust excess adrenalin built up in the body

[Moderator's note: this thread is for sharing what has worked for you to manage your anxiety. If you need support to manage your anxiety and would like to discuss this with the community, please start a new thread.

See also:

Anxiety management strategies

Worry worry worry

]

300 Replies 300

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have suffered from anxiety and depression most of my lif, but getting ontop and understanding myself now so its better than it has been for a long time. 🙂

When my anxiety is bad and preventing me from sleeping when I find that listening to my iPod to a meditation CD helps.

My favorite and most effective CDs are:

Quiet Mind ( I found this at my local library)

Letting go of anxiety (CD by australian psychologist Sarah Edelman) 

These are fantastic and I loved them so much I purchased them both on itunes. If anyone is in the newcastle region they are both available at the local library. Really good to stop the nagging thoughts when trying to sleep.

Hope this can help some of you

xoxo julia

Technogurl
Community Member

Hi there

I've realised that I am a lot in my head all the time.

One of the main things I have found useful is to realise that the past is over and I can do it differently from now on. Also, just because I think a thought, does not necessarily mean it is true. That is where the questioning that Hopeful posts is helpful as this is what Byron Katie teaches.

I have found another effective method for managing and even eliminating anxiety, but not sure if I am allowed to post it in the forum.

It is great when you find something that works for you!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Dodge2000
Community Member

I have done these to get rid of my anxiety symptoms.

* Eat healthy food and drinks and avoid the following: Caffeine, carbonated drinks, fried food, too much sugar, too much sodium

*Regular cardio and weight lifting exercises at least 3x a week

*Regular visit to my GP, Chiropractor and Physiotherapist

*Take Natures Way Rest and Restore nightly multivitamin - it calms nervous system and very good sleep

*Regular mild stretching upon waking up in the morning

*Try to sleep longer i.e. at least 7 hours

*Very important: PRACTICE SLOW BREATHING thorughout the day i.e. 3 seconds INHALE 3 seconds EXHALE

*Stay dehydrated

*Have a POSITIVE MINDSET and CONTROL ANGER

With the above I can say GOODBYE to my anxiety. I hope the above will help others.  

Dodge2000 - I love this list!

I think it makes a lot of sense to care for your body in the physiological and psychological way.  One can't go without the other - which is why medication alone doesn't always help... or counselling alone can't be effective long term.

I'm working through a list of strategies which work for me, but also ensuring that there's balance.

thisaquarian
Community Member
Yoga is fantastic for anxiety.  I thought I would trial a yoga class for the first time a few weeks ago. Not just a half attempt at home, but a real yoga class. Wow it was intense.  Physically I struggled, but pushed myself past what I thought I could do.  Emotionally/psychologically I worked through a lot of negative self talk ("I'm too fat for yoga, my belly is too big/no one wants to see that") And then worrying that people were judging my body etc.  I eventually said to myself "who cares if they are?!" , allowed myself to have a good time and focussed on getting to the next pose.  I went through a lot of baggage in that class. I managed to do most poses though! That felt so great.  I was on a high for the rest of the day - I can see what they mean by natural highs now!

Cotton
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have a simple tool I call EAT. Emotion, Acceptance, Time.

I feel the emotion, acknowledge/accept and then remind myself that as time passes so will the emotion.

In terms of anxiety in the middle of the night, rather than worrying about being tired, I say to myself that waking up is normal. I use NOT- Tired. Normal, Ordinary and (again) Time. Here's the thinking

Being anxious is a normal thing. Being anxious is ordinary. As Time passes, so will the anxiety

HelenM
Community Member

I don't know if my post is trite and if it is please excuse it. I wonder if when a person gets symptoms and goes to the Dr,  is it feeding the fear. My fear is becoming severely depressed again. I avoid any information to do with this. My gp doesn't think it will happen again. But I'm afraid my mental health isn't robust enough if a big event happens in my life. 

I really feel for everyone who has this debilitating illness.  Helen x

HelenM
Community Member

Just another suggestion. This helps me but might seem silly to some.  I look at life, at people, at centuries and I know that so very many people suffer as we do.  But in different ways. Physical pain.  Loneliness. Refugees. Marital abuse, the list is endless. We are a vast community, suffering together. In a strange way we are one. All of us here are sharing in one and others pain. I can and do care for everyone on here. Also I care for anyone suffering. It wasn't sent to us. We have the misfortune to live with it. 

I love people and animals and try to show compassion to those I meet each day. Despite my suffering I know inside that I offer a great deal to world. I always wanted to do that, but I 'd thought I' d be able to do it happily. And now I'm going to get a cup of tea and have a good cry. 

Take care  Helen x

Mr_Potatohead
Community Member
I find the progressive muscle relaxation combined with mindfulness. We recorded our CBT guy doing it and I carry it on my phone so it's there when I need. Just takes about 20 minutes. 

Zoostar84
Community Member
Something I have done for a very long time is heat up a wheat pack and put it on my forhead whilst watching TV or lying in bed before going to sleep