FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic Attacks through the night

kezza_187
Community Member

Hi All,

I will try to keep it brief. I have been treated for anxiety for the last approx 10 years. Medication / Phsycologist / Psychiatrist / Counsellors / Hypnos / GP's etc etc.

I have, like many people, experienced several of the symptoms but never ever has it affected me once I'm asleep or given me heart palpitations.

3 times in the last 5 nights I have woken in the middle of the night with my heart beating out of my chest, I am shaking, feel nauseous, and I'm as stiff as a surf board like I'm frozen in fear.

Even during the day I have noticed my heart racing.

I also fainted 2 weeks ago in a cafe. I was talking to a friend about my Dad's cancer returning and the issues with my kids Dad and then next minute I was on the floor covered in sweat. The ambulance came and checked me over and they agree that it was more than likely stress related.My body is hitting me with some 'new' things lately and as it is 'new' to me it definitely isn't helping my already anxious ways. I went to the GP and she suggested that I have a 24 hour ECG and some other tests just in case.

I did decrease my medication (in consultation with my GP) but I have slowly felt that my anxiety is getting worse again. The side effects from my past medication makes me scared to go back on it.

I guess I am wondering why on earth my body is developing new symptoms to anxiety? For 10 years I always had the same symptoms and learnt to recognise them for anxiety. I am so confused as to why these 'new' symptoms are coming my way.

I also know little to nothing about what is happening to me at night time. I have read through google that it could be nocturnal panic attacks. I would really appreciate some information about what could be triggering this, why it happens, is it anxiety or could it be something else (in your opinion).

Has anyone over come these without medication?

The kids Dad is talking about "anxiety rehab" which isn't really an option for me as I am the main carer for the kids. Has anyone attended this and had success or any further info?

Thanks for any advice 🙂

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi kezza_187,

Welcome back to the forums. Hopefully one of our members will be along soon to provide you with some discussion around these issues.

In the meantime, please feel free to check out the thread you posted last month - a number of our members took the time to reply to you there and provide support, and are keen to hear back from you how things are going:

When do I put myself first? Partners anxiety and nastiness

Mr_Walker
Community Member

Hi kezza_187, I have experienced a couple of the things you mention - fainting, palpitations etc.

And most importantly I've found anxiety to almost act as if it has a will of it's own - like it doesn't want you to get rid of it! When you find a method that works it can sometimes attack you from a different angle with some new symptoms (I don't know why or how!).

Particularly I found I had a year or two of really terrible nightmares about my childhood which brought on sweating, palpitations etc. during a period of time when I was working through some of my childhood issues with my psychologist - they seemed to come out of nowhere but my brain must have been processing that stuff in the background and it was coming out in my sleep.

Then they went away...

I think sometimes when you get rid of one anxiety it comes out in a different way (travel anxiety, health anxiety whatever...) Mine attacked me from SO many different angles over the years!

Maybe we just have to keep adapting and learning different techniques as it changes..