FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overcoming arachnophobia.

V17
Community Member
I've noticed that I am increasingly becoming more and more arachnophobic. Even writing this post and bringing it to the forefront of my mind is making me edgy. The word spider..uh!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to over come this? The thought of having one on me...Oh. No. Waaaay.

Is it because I've been anxious lately that this kinda irrational thought is popping up?

I mean I check under the visors in the car before I start driving because I'd rather deal with it then instead of driving. I'm in the garden and the other day I seen a big one and couldn't get back into it [garden]. I really don't want to let this get outta hand and want to nip it in the bud.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Except having them on me.

V.
16 Replies 16

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hell, any phobia is horrible and the fear of spiders is terrible I have a fear a flying birds around me and I would never go into an aviary, however a psychologist could help you overcome this by using a desensitization method, so if you google this it will explain how it's done.
The question you maybe asking is why haven't I done this, well I suppose I haven't had the time to do it, because it has to be done gradually in certain stages and I'm never asked to go into an aviary, because I would just say no.
I know someone who has the same phobia and before she would go into a caravan she would use at least a couple of cans of insect killer, plus she would put a bomb in there as well to kill any insects.
Slowly she has learnt to overcome this phobia of spiders, so if you are seeing a psychologist already then raise this problem with them. Geoff.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey V17

I have the same fear which make my heart shake (in fear) but I dont really think about it until they scare the crap out of me.

Geoff has the best clinical advice above where the thought processes are involved (desensitization)

I empathize with your fear though. I fear Rottweilers and Dobermans as they are the only two specie of K9 that have wanted to attack and bite me. So even being an experienced dog handler these four legged critters give me the creeps.

Spiders are way up my fear scale though V17.....I hear you....loud and clear

Great post....a very real one

my kindest (great to have you as family on the forums too!)

Paul

V17
Community Member
Hey Geoff! Hey Paul! - lovely to see you both 🙂

Thanks for your suggestions - the desensitization process; brilliant! I found an incredible blog by a clinical psychologist yesterday and it showed me how to do a step-by-step process. What's more and even better is that I listened to the mp3 (was a free download). I know now I can't get a 'quick fix' and made peace with that.
I initially thought to draw spiders (I am calm when I write the word now) but it kinda freaked me out a little, so perfect timing. Thank you both! I like seeing progress.

Just a little 'chinwag' because I see 3 dog lovers here..
I have a pooch - he is German Shepherd x Kelpie - I've trained kelpies before (Dad is a sheep farmer) and found them to be quick and responsive learners. So when the pooch arrived (he was in a foster environment for dogs), I thought, cool, easy peasy. Wrong. He was uncontrollable! So, I spent hours watching Ceasar Milan - The Dog Whisperer. By employing his techniques I seen an INSTANT turn around with the pooch. Loving it!

Have you guys heard of him?

Just in case you haven't..

He speaks about dogs taking on board their owners energy and a direct result from it is their behaviour.

I've noticed that being anxious lately and therefore fearful my pooch detects I'm scared and goes into protective mode. Like the other day when I was completely freaked out by the spider; instantly he was there.

I wonder Paul, if the dogs you've had your experiences with have owners that are not employing the calm/assertive approach to their canine compatriots?

Love the support the both of you have given me, in here. xx
V.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey V17

I love Ceasar Milan, he is a guru and had the guts to talk about his personal life (overdosing) on his own show!

I have a Chow Chow/German Sheperd x....he is a small horse lol.....He's like walking a lamb.....(65kilo lamb)

Your question is a good one as I have always used Ceasars techniques and when my depression is spiking its difficult to let the dog know I am 'relaxed' and calm when Im not...otherwise the calm and assertive pack leader approach does work well and good on you with doing so well with your German Shep/Kelpie x...Nice1 V!

I did try with a Kelpie/Husky x and she needed acreage just to run free. I did fail on that one. It was my daughters dog and was re-homed twice after I tried....I still feel guilty about her....its wasnt her fault that she needed to run

Great to have you here V17.....

Go Ford 🙂

my kindest

Paul

V17
Community Member
Hiya Paul 🙂
Ford 4 Life!
I had a thought just pop in my head a few minutes ago writing a post. I was getting all 'hyped up'. It was Ceasar Milan. Perfectly timed. I can certainly see why using his techniques have helped you. I guess too, that a bonus of his teaching is that dogs live in the moment. Kinda like mindfulness. How easy I can forget about being mindful when the anxiety kicks in!

Kelpies and Huskies do love to run - I completely agree with you. Try and not beat yourself up over it though, sometimes we don't have the answers when we want them and there is always room for improvement whilst we wait for them to come. And you never know what is around the corner, perhaps next time see if riding with them on a bike or even setting up a harness and little trailer (to get the firewood) will help? I ride my bike with the pooch - just so he get's a good work out. Looking down at him as I ride, I feel like am in a wolf pack. So good.

I can draw S P I D E R S now 🙂 This process really works!

Always a pleasure chatting with you and reading your posts, Paul. Always.

Thank you!

V.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey V17

Always a treat to get a response of you

You are stronger than I am, the word terror comes to mind if I have a dog on a leash attached to a bike. I have seen Ceasar do it....so comfortably lol. You are a legend V. When you get the time you have to let me know how you do it! (i noticed some responses on learning to accept from a person that means very well but seemed like they crossed the line..not mentioning anyone of course) I just read them a couple of hours ago. I had to re read them to check I wasnt imagining them. It was last week. Pls ignore if you are are okay with the responses 🙂

Great work with drawing spiders by the way....I have never heard of that tip before...Nice1

When you have the time and its convenient let me know if you ride your bike with the German Shep x Kelpie on a leash 🙂

I hope you can stick around V17

my kindest

Paulx

Hi All,

I too enjoy watching Ceasar Milan. I would love to invite him to our neighbourhood! Actually, the dogs about the place have calmed down a bit now and I don't need to feel so threatened by the German shepherd next door that jumped the fence one day and wrapped his jaws around my leg! Good thing I was wearing jeans at the time.

Thankfully the dog just dribbled all down my leg while he was growling and didn't try to close his jaw. Maybe my leg was too fat for him to do that. Ha. Ha. He bit more than he could chew. Ha.Ha.

Hey V, sorry to read you have an issue with spiders. They freak my husband out as well. Hope you can manage to not let the thought of spiders stop you from doing things you enjoy.

Think I would rather encounter spiders in the garden than snakes. Now the weather is warming up here in S.A. I have already seen one snake in the garden. We eye balled each other as I was weeding! Think I need a thicker pair of gloves!

Creatures are great as long as they don't invade my space!

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools

V17
Community Member

I chuckled at your post, Paul. Legend? Nope. When I tried the leash on the pooch it failed miserably - I fell of the bike! Walking him with a leash - no drama; bike and leash - no. I do not know how Cesar does it? So I started training him without a leash really early in the morning when no one is about and he now just runs alongside without it, he prefers it and so do I. No more bruises and skinned knees! I would love to meet him too, Mrs D!

Mrs D jee wiz! I'm glad you had jeans on as well! That would have been frightening, they are such big creatures. Has the dog settled, or?
You know this may seem crazy but I prefer snakes over spiders - any day. I actually like them and if it wasn't for the fact that Mum wouldn't pop in and see me if I had one - I would love to share my home with one.

Spider webs are what I aim to be working on. I wouldn't walk through one today and I couldn't find the 'maker' either. Just being calm and relaxing to the exercises is really helpful.
'Creatures are great as long as they don't invade my space!' - absolutely!

Thanks for replying Mrs D; Paul - it's just good to take a breather from facing the hurting sometimes. I really appreciate it.

V.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi V,

You are so right. It is great to have a chat about what ever without it being bogged down with mental health issues.

I know of a person who does not let the family remove any spider from their home. It looks a bit like a setting for Halloween with cob webs everywhere. Ha. Ha.

The feeling of a cob web is amazing. They are so light and fragile and so stick as well.

On an early morning walk once, I saw cobwebs dotted with dew with the sun rising behind them, they looked beautiful. It amazes me how spiders are able to make huge webs.

A pet non poisonous snake might be alright. The wild snakes do give me a fright when I come across them in the garden! They make my hair stand up on end.

How is your cygnet getting on?

Cheers for now from Mrs. D.