FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Over eater

Mad1990
Community Member

Hello Lovely people;

I feel like for the most part of it I eat generally well, but when I am stressed I over eat a lot and its not normal, I can not afford and also do not have time to do counselling. I am a student and I work full time and I have a partner and family commitments (no children tho), and I am new in my role at work, and this is also my first year of uni, and I have also moved and will probably need to move again, so there has been a lot of change and a lot worry about failing, which in itself is pretty normal. But I always deal with my stress with food.

I am a stress overeater, and I am just concerned for my health and was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice or tips, would be greatly appreciated. As I feel I can not handle my stress and food and constant worry about my weight, it stressing me out and I just can't handle all the stress in my life, which then results in me thinking about past trauma events, and it just a constant cycle of eating. My habit is ruled my emotions and certain triggers, and I understand that I have to deal with my emotions first and I feel like I am trying to do that but I am addicted with pushing my emotions down with eating and its disgusting .

I was just wondering if there are any one out there who deals with their emotions with food, and how they got over the addiction to food.

Thank you xxx

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Dear Mad1990, We want to thank you for having the courage to post about your tendency to over eat during times of stress.  We are a helpful and supportive community here, and you are very welcome. Whilst this is something that you are sitting uncomfortably with, it’s important to know that it is completely normal to over eat now and again, however in saying that it can also take its toll on both your physical and mental health which explains why you may be feeling the way you are right now. It is great to know you feel this forum is a safe space for you to be able to share your experience and we hope that you find the support you are looking for; it can also be helpful to talk to a therapist of psychologist to discuss ways in which you might break that cycle however we understand that part of you feeling stressed appears to be made worse by having little time (or money!) to do this. We are here to help and support you through this journey. Warm regards, Sophie M.