FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

One Week to go before my Vaccination

Melancholy Yogini
Community Member

I need some advice please. Before this second wave of Covid 2.0 smacked us in the face June this year, I booked in for my Covid vaccination - recommended for me was Pfizer. I couldn't get the location I wanted so I chose the main vaccination hub at Sydney Olympic Park thinking this would be safer and easier, and the earliest appointment time for me was August. Yesterday I read and saw how busy this vaccination hub was due to people who are just showing up as well as those who already have appointments and my anxiety has hit the roof. I practice and teach yoga so have all the tools and have been practicing as many breathing techniques as I can think of but I feel the anxiety swelling inside me. The thought of being around that many people is making me physically sick and I cannot stop shaking. I have tried to see if I can call the vaccination centre to check if I have to wait in a line like the pictures would suggest however I can't speak to the clinic directly, I need to call the main Covid hotline.

My appointment is next Friday, so I would just like some advice on anything different that may have worked for anyone who is reading this that I may not have tried before. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs of any kind so I am not on any medication. I always try to heal myself naturally when possible.

Thank you for any advice x

12 Replies 12

viac
Community Member

Hi I know totally how you fell.

With Covid taking over parts of Aus I've been staying in my suburb and haven't been in any situations with lots of people. So the whole idea of masses of people is definitely not a nice thought, I can agree with you there. I struggle with similar anxiety, being stressed around people a lot and I find myself worrying to quite a large extent, specifically about things that could go wrong. Try to think about how well it will go and how you will feel after.

It's great to be doing the breathing techniques and it sounds like you have that mastered, I've had lots of different advice given to me, and sometimes just changing your thinking can help. Accepting that this is a big task, but once you have been vaccinated how much safer you will feel. It is great to be doing something like this, and will inevitably help our lives return to some sort of normal.

I've had a few people tell me that overstressing and having high amounts of anxiety over something in the future will only make you put yourself through the experience more than once. Possibly ignoring the situation, until the morning of and then imagining a smooth run through of how you vaccination will go. More practical things to put in place, double masking can help some people feel safer, socially distancing, and not feeling worried about telling anyone there that you are stressed about the situation.

Taking time before friday to relax and make your life as calm as possible, keeping conscious thinking and (i know it's cliche) but only thinking of the positive aspects of being able to get vaccinated.

I hope something I've said can help in some way.

You have got this, you are brave, and I'm sending virtual hugs and support your way.

Best of luck, via 🙂

Thank you 🙂 I do mostly have positive thoughts and I do know that it will be worth it.

I will definitely try to just put this out of my mind for now and focus on my day at hand. The double mask idea is great, I will do that. A friend suggested I wear a hula hoop to make sure people don't come near me. While it made me laugh I did ponder the thought for a moment lol

Actually you know what, the hula hoop isn't a terrible idea, definitely one way to keep people away.

Hi Melancholy Yogini,

Just wanted to say perhaps another way to think about it is how tightly regulated and controlled the vaccination centre will be. I went to a mass vaccination hub and we had to stand apart, we had to sanitise our hands at certain intervals and put on new masks before entering the vaccination centre. There will be many more safety precautions at the vaccination centre than say if you went to the supermarket. Its probably one of the safer places to be when outside of the house.

I had a flight phobia and while flying on a plane feels way more unsafe than going on a train - all the safety procedures in aviation actually make it the safest mode of transport. Hopefully that's not a terrible analogy but the point is the health authorities are going to run this as a tight ship they will be monitoring and ensuring everyone is safely vaccinated. It is probably why we don't see vaccination centres as a hotspot despite them attracting large groups of people.

So when my psychologists said to me - you don't need to concern yourself with the safety of a plane because there are professionals whose lives are dedicated to this and are controlling this for you - similarly let the health authorities and all the wonderful nurses and doctors closely monitor this for you. So instead of feeling out of control you can trust the health authorities are controlling this for you and keeping you safe.

I think you manage your anxiety wonderfully and I wish you all the best

Love

Pumps

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Melancholy Yogini,

Thank you for your question! I hope that the advice so far has really helped.

I completely agree in thinking about the 'after'- I totally understand in how anxiety provoking this is, but you are doing the right thing. I wonder if it's a 'short term pain, long term gain' mindset?

One of the things that I've been trying to do lately is to be more compassionate about your anxiety. What if you were to think of your anxiety as a good thing, because it is trying to protect you- and that's smart. Practical things you can try include masking, sanitiser and distancing where possible, as well as practicing your yoga techniques now so that they're easier to implement at the time.

sidenote: I also like the hula hoops. There's a german cafe that tells customers to wear pool noodles on their head which I like too!

rt

Melancholy Yogini
Community Member
Thank you to you all, your advice has been amazing! It has absolutely been helpful.

Melancholy Yogini
Community Member

So an update to my first post, which I am not sure if you will read, but it will make me feel better to get it out.

I arrived at the vaccination hub, and there were so many people. I tried to keep my distance as best I could. The organisation of the many people was well done all things considered. While I was outside of the building I was doing ok, the anxiety was there, but I just kept breathing. Once inside the building people were much closer to me and I panicked. By the time they sat me down in amongst so many people the anxiety did get the better of me. The nurses at the vaccination hub were amazing and noticed me in the crowd and plucked me out, they whisked me away to a treatment room where it was quiet and they could calm me down.

I am due to go back there again this Friday, but I am determined to try to work through this and not panic. I have been told to ask to go to the treatment room again, however I will leave that as a last resort. Knowing that is an option for me, seems to help, knowing that I have a safe space if needed.

Hi there Melancholy Yogini

Just a short post in response to your anxiety with the Covid Vaccination process.

I have only very slight anxiety from time to time so can't offer much personal insight into that.

However I can tell you that after my first vaccination I felt pretty good about myself. Then after my second vaccination, the feeling of well being was much greater. I felt I had done the right thing for myself, my wife, my grandkids, and for our society in general.

Self respect is a great thing and chances are you will feel that after getting vaccinated.

By all means let the forum know how you go and how you feel after this Friday.

PS I assume you Doctor can't do your vaccination? That would be a very calm experience.

All the best, The Bro

Hi Melancholy Yogini,

I've been away for a bit and I just saw your post, how did you get on friday?

I was finally eligible for my dose and actually got mine on friday too. I wasn't sure what to expect but there were people everywhere, masks but no social distancing so it was definitely anxiety provoking!

Hope it all went well.

rt