FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ocd:lack of self care/hygeine:It has a name

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Chris on 3 March 2013

I discovered this over the weekend that the version of ocd thats been affecting me actually has a name.Its called: Functional Impairment.It just means your ability to take of your everyday groooming and hygiene needs are getting done.The ocd has prevented you from doing anything that you after you get out of bed to the moment you leave your home.Anything and everything can be affected.Trimming your hair,trimming your finger nails and toenails,shaving,brushing your teeth,showering,etc. I'm trying to find other who have this problem so I can offer them support. Chris.
10 Replies 10

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: scotty on 3 March 2013

Hey Chris havn't seen you about in a while here, I would imagine this would common to in Bipolar, Perhaps David will have some input to 🙂

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Chris on 4 March 2013

Hi Scotty.Nice to catch up.Its sad we cant get in contact.It would be nice if other who have this problem could realize that this form of ocd has a name.Its about time.I posted on many forums to share that information.I hope to be able to support them..I started my own support group specifically for it.Those sufferers need support. Hope you're going okay,mate.Thank for your reply. Chris.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 6 March 2013

dear Chris, fortunately I don't have functional Impairment but there is an elderly chap who wanders around my town, and I'm sure that his coat hasn't been washed for at least seven years, he's on the prowl for cigarette buts, but I don't have any contact with him. Your support group would be interesting to get involved with, but I'm not sure that BB would allow for it to be mentioned, however if you can give me a general clue I will try and find it. Geoff.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Chris on 16 March 2013

Hi Geoff. I ended up find 2 others who have got it too.I even started up my own email support group.I figured that while I'm making great progress with ocd I can help others.I know what it did to me so I just want to be there for others who have the same thing. I hope this forum expends by setting up a better forum that we can access and go about supporting everyone the way forums are meant to be. I guess I can only help people online until there's a forum that puts people in contact with others. Chris.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 17 March 2013

dear Chris, I am sure your list will grow, and it's a great that you are doing this for these people with OCD. Each particular illness that falls under the umbrella of depression has it's own specific ramifications which are capable of destroying the lives of anyone struggling with depression, either forever or for a short period, and by saying short this could be years. Geoff.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Chris on 17 March 2013

I think the ocd version, " Functional Impairment" might not be something that affects Bipolar in general but no matter what its such a horrible way to live.I survived and recovering from it.I made sure it had to go.I think anyone can get it.I saw someone years ago who had it.It took me to get it to realise what was happening to them. I didnt get depression.Thats a miracle right there.I won the battle against such a life destroying mongrel of a disorder.Its a cancer of the self.It eats away at one's own self.I looked like a caveman,pain and all.Grooming and hygiene routines destroyed.Stuff that. I won.No bumper stickers that says "I love my disorder". If you have this form of ocd or know someone who has help them get help online.

hopeful13
Community Member

I am now dealing with this aswell as other OCD based problems. I have gone from taking pride in my appearance, daily showering and teeth brush aswell as general grooming to giving up on everything. Everything is hard and I can't do it right. I haven't left the house in over a week and have had to take time off work. I don't know what to do.

Dear Hopeful13. Things have really got tough, it sounds as if you are  strugglling with terrible symptoms at the moment. Good on you for posting to the forum.  It must be hard to post when you are feeling so overwhelmed.There are others who have OCD symptoms on the forum who have experienced really tough time like you are at the moment. You are not alone with this.

If things are so bad that you can't leave the house it is important that you contact somebody for some help. It sounds as if this is a dramatic change for you, and that this intensity of symptoms has happened  quickly.  

If you can muster up the ability  to make an appointment with your GP and attend it that would be great. At least call the GP and give yourself a chance to make that appointment and get there. If  you don't think you can leave the house call your local mental health service, ask to speak to the triage service. Be sure and tell them your symptoms are stopping you from leaving the house at the moment. They may be able to come and see you.

With treatment things do not have to continue like they are at the moment, your symptoms can improve.

Please let us know how you are going. Keep in touch with the forum.

Remember you are not alone with this.

the moderators

Dear hopeful13

I'm bipolar and did a day at the Black Dog Institute a while back - answering questions, being interviewed by students, wondering why it took 20mins to make a cup of tea...........  I ended up staying from 10am to 2pm.  I wanted to "help".

One of the areas of research was hygiene.    Basically, the trend from research was that mental health sufferers tend to neglect their appearance and wear dishevelled clothing.  LIke we become tramps.    Lack of self esteem.    A fair bit of time to iron a shirt but no motivation.    I don't even buy many new clothes.   Basically, it was wonderful for the research centre to calibrate my input into this theory but I gotta admit it didn't do much for my own focus.  Infact, it felt a bit like they had just said "You're tall" adding "You can go now - thanks for coming".

I don't actually agree with this research.   If you take any professional and stick them into a long weekend by Sunday they are sleeping in and by Bank Holiday Monday they are wearing trackies cos they can't be bothered to dress up on a non work day.   So, maybe with mental health, which is totally uncomfortable, we seek to wear clothing which is totally comfortable.    And so on.  It's no big deal.   You don't need an institute called the Black Dog Institute to research that stuff.  And where the hell is that cup of tea ?  You've got no milk and you're a research institute ?  Maybe there's a line of mental health research right there.  Touche.

Adios, David.

PS  One form on mental health had 240 questions.  It's challenging.   They still send me requests to re-attend but I got more depressed after my involvement.  The lab test rat must feel the same.