FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Ocd:it prevented me from doing things.Here's my story.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Chris on 31 January 2013

I've had ocd for several years.I've also got chronic fatigue syndrome (cfs) that keeps me at home and I'm agoraphobic.I'm being treated for all my health problems by an alternative health practitioner.I'm almost cured of ocd but I'm bored and lonely. Here's how ocd was affecting me: unable to change into clean/ or new clothes. unable to move things around my home unable to remove recyclables and rubbish from my home.. unable to prepare food/cook food and eat food when I'm on my own. unable to clean out my fridge/freezer of all foods that have been there since ocd started. unable to shave my beard(I forgot to mention I'm a guy),trim my finger nails,trim my toenails,trim my hair (usual grooming") unable to wash my clothes,linen,etc. Thats the worst of ocd.(Now you know why I'm here.) The good news is,the cfs has eased off a little,the ocd is almost gone and I feel better in my mind than I have for years.My overall wellbeing is very good considering I'm bored and lonely.I can do almost all of the things that ocd stopped me doing. Even though I've posted here a few times before I still havent found new friends. I'd really like some suggestions. Thanks . Chris.
10 Replies 10

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: stephen on 1 February 2013

Hi Chris, I too suffer from OCD. What alternative treatments have you been trying? I am interested to hear as I haven't had much luck with anti-depressants. Stephen

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: geoff on 1 February 2013

dear Chris, I know all the ramifications of how OCD controls our lives and how exhausting it is. I am wondering on whether meeting new friends is part of your OCD and also curious as to whether any other traits have now developed. Like if I try and stop a habit or ritual it has to be replaced by another one. I also understand that people who don't have OCD must think that we are crazy, well no we aren't it's just an illness that we have, and our thinking is the same as those that don't have it. If we are caught out they say 'you know that the door is locked, so why check on it again, it's stupid', or ' are you mental or something', that's why I hide it when doing it. Have a look at www.OCfoundation.org this may give you sites on where to meet people, or this one ' http://understanding_ocd.tripod.com/ocd_supportgroups.html.' I am also curious as to which one is the worst for you the OCD or the chronic fatigue syndrome, or are they on a par. Have alook at these sites and it give you some ideas. Good luck. Geoff.

Bulletin_Board_Archive
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff
Originally posted by: Kathy on 1 February 2013

Hello Chris, do you suffer from Hoarding, the reason i ask is because you mention you are unable to remove recyclable items from the home. I think i have a touch of this also, I do not like letting go of my items, it is very cluttered in here, i need to spring clean. Best of luck Kathy

Hi Geoff and Kathy.

This new forum makes it easier to see whats going on here.

Wanting to meet new friends is something I need to do.I need new friends in my life.I'm alone too often.That in itself is causing me problems.Its not an ocd ritual or anything,its just life and its what I need. 

Kathy,the hoarding thing was a nightmare.I've since made progress and my home has been emptied of all rubbish and recyclables. Its very clean.

Ocd seems like the computer virus for humans:its stops us doing things we want/need to do and makes us do things we dont want to do..Those rituals are a pain.

I'll have a look at the ocdfoundation site you suggested.

The ocd and what it did for me is the worst for me.Its all about lack of self care and hygiene.It cost a lot of money to live like that.I'm glad I've got a non medical practitioner as most of the ocd has gone.Still got some little things though.

The chronic fatigue just means I lack real energy to do anything.I get puffed out easily if I'm not carefull.Cant go anywhere though.I'm at home at all times.Boredom and lonelyness are 2 major problems.

Chris.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hi Chris, firstly I'm not too happy with this new profile, and I still believe that Beyond Blue should have asked the responders for helpful tips , there are some good points added but there are problems with it. I know that they have gone to a lot of trouble and that responders change all the time, but it's not as easy as the previous site.

I like your comment that OCD is like a computer virus and how true that is. You seem to be progressing pretty well, especially by cleaning out your rubbish and that would have been exceptionally difficult to achieve. Practice some desensitisation  with regards to going out, like walk to the letterbox a few times until you feel comfortable, then walk to the end of the street, and slowly make yourself learn on how to progress, there's no time limit, just take your time. Once you can do this then teach yourself to go to the park, either early in the morning when no one is about, and then gradually change your time to when people maybe at the park. It's just a slow process and you do it until you feel OK. Geoff.

Denv12
Community Member
Hi Geoff.Chronic fatigue syndrome isnt a fear thing.Its not an anxiety disorder.Its a seperate illness.It doesnt work the way you think.You dont desensitise to it.I wont explain it here.I'll save that for when I'm in the various cfs/me support groups.Those of us with it understand it.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Denv12, I know that it's a seperate illness, I was only referring to whether Chris's OCD was as bad as his chronic fatigue syndrome, that is 50% for OCD and 50% for chronic fatigue syndrome thus making it a par an equal amount and the desenitisation certainly won't work for CFS, but it can possibly work for OCD. Geoff.

verena
Community Member

Hi Chris,

You mentioned you have made progress on the hoarding (Well Done!!).  How did you manage this, do you have any tips for someone who is feeling completely over whelmed? 

hopeful13
Community Member

Hello, everybody. I am a 23 year old woman who has experienced OCD as a child and brief hoarding. Looking back I should have known I would be prone to difficulties as an adult. Although I never paid too much attention to rituals as they didn't affect my everyday life until a month ago. I started battling anxiety about 2.5 years ago and experienced a real rough patch for about 4 months these concerns mostly surrounded health. I did seek therapy without medication and eventually I overcame most of the issues that prevented me from functioning properly.

About 4 weeks ago OCD proved it was here to stay. Chris, I am experiencing everything you described with my biggest issue being contamination. I go days without eating and drinking. I can’t wash my clothes because I just can’t get it right.

My fears surround HIV and Hepatitis. Logically I am at no risk for either, based on the fact that I am in a long term monogamous, stable relationship, I do not do drugs and I am not a part of the party scene. It’s affecting my relationship with my partner because I am unable to do certain things I used to do, so he’s left with all the tasks to run the household. We’re both very unhappy.

I used to take pride in my appearance and the cleanliness of my home. Due to a lack of motivation I don’t bother with anything anymore. I spend my days stressing about which clothes I can and can’t wear, I just can’t wear certain clothes because that little voice in my head won’t let me. I fear that if I walk through the street or a park I will step on a syringe and spend hours checking the bottom of my shoes and soles.

I know OCD is considered the ‘doubters disease’ and I don’t think any description could be truer. I second guess everything, even though my eyes see one thing, my mind will not accept any attempts to convince myself. As a result I have become depressed. I cry every day.

I’ve distanced myself from my family and I am not seeing them as regularly. Good news is therapy will commence this weekend. I cried as I read your post, for a brief minute I was happy knowing that somebody who had doubts like me has been able to better himself. It helps me believe there’s a chance for recovery.

Thank you.  I really hope therapy will help me. I’m losing the will to live, it’s too much to handle.