FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

OCD and Job Interviews

Jim2
Community Member

Hi All,

I need some tips on managing my ocd when it comes to job interviews. I tend to find it hard to look into the interviewers eyes and maintain eye contact without being awkward.

I also tend to look down and sometimes if it is a lady interviewer, my mind keeps obsessing over if I looked at her inappropriately. This is my peripheral vision ocd and worried I'm looking at someone's privates.

I need help.

3 Replies 3

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Jim2,

A very warm and caring welcome to the forums...

I don’t have OCD more likely I’m not much help to you..

I did pop in to welcome you and move your post forward in the hope that someone with OCD can call in to talk to you..

I always believe even at interviews to be just you...to be who you are, act who you are and answer questions honestly to the best of your knowledge...

Wishing you all the best and I’m certain others will call in to offer some suggestions....with their own inside and wisdom..

My kindest thoughts dear Jim2..

Grandy..

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jim2,

I am sorry you are experiencing this. OCD is troubling. We are all here for you.

Have you seen a psychologist about this?

Jaz.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jim2,

Wellcome to our forums!

Thank you for being so open with us about your OCD….. I understand

I had severe anxiety OCD and I have now recovered thanks to the professional help that I received.

Are you seeking professional help for your OCD?

I understand intrusive thoughts and all of the what if s….. OCD is a vicious cycle but you can learn how to break free of its grips with the correct help.

Ok with job interviews or just talking to people I understand this intrusive thought and how it would make you feel…….. the best thing to do is when you have this thought stay in the present moment……. Really concentrate on what the interviewer is saying……

If the thought pops in just allow it to be there and try not to give it your attention…… “stay present “ don’t talk back to it, don’t analyse it and don’t question it……. Focus on something in the present moment

This takes practice so practice it in every day life.

I did a wonderful therapy it was an intervention into the OCD the therapy I did was meta cognitive therapy it gave me many great tools. I have learned how not to get caught up in my OCD cycle.

I have written two threads you may be interested in reading

From someone who suffered with OCD and recovered

Effective treatment for OCD Metacognitive Therapy

Please ask me anything your not alone many people have this disorder