FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Obsessive Thoughts about proving/disproving things

ChickenKatsu
Community Member

Hi I've been stuggling with anxiety and obsessive thoughts for around 4 years now. I'm seeing a consellor and taking medication however I thought it would be good to see if anyone is having similar obsessive thoughts to me.

Lately I've been getting very obsessed with people's beliefs - trying to understand why they hold them and obsessing with completely disproving them if I think that they are not true. Even if I know that a belief is silly and makes no sense I get really obsessed with being able to completely disprove it - often spending hours ruminating on thoughts and being unable to relax until I can say that I have completely debunked it. Even if I know that so many elements of a belief are silly I still get anxious that I can disprove every single aspect. The beliefs I get worried about can vary from conspicary theories to psuedoscience to outdated economic theories but they all are completely harmless to me - which is concerning why I get so obsessed with thinking about them.

Does anyone else get anxiety and get obsessed about being able to say something is/isn't true?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey there 🙂
Thank you for taking the step to share your experiences here on the forum, we hope that you will begin to recieve some support from other members on the forum. 

In the meantime if you would like a space to talk through what has been going on for you we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

dReM
Community Member

Yes... and no.

Slightly different here.

I get really worked up about people trying to tell me something works differently to how I understand it to work (sometimes). I won't say I spend a lot of time trying to prove my point or demonstrate what I am trying to say, but every time I see a piece of evidence to support my way of thinking it's sets my frustration off about the original "difference of opinions"

All my current frustrations are work related and also involve those taboo barriers (race, religion, gender...) so it's hard to explain what I mean without coming off as some kind of sexist racist.

I guess I can say about one example: I live in a very small community. Hypothetically, if it became known that a child received a poor health diagnosis then the community would rally behind that family and try and support them - confidentiality around the health scenario tends to disappear, but it's not a bad thing. I understand this doesn't necessarily happen in larger communities. This is the current "argument" with my boss - who (from a larger town, but not so large that the above mentioned community support is lacking) released confidential information to me, along these lines, without clarifying that it was confidential. He is now blaming me for a confidentiality breach in a situation where I was not aware that any "confidential" information had been shared. So, when I opened my web browser this morning and a news story came up about Gary Ablett's terminally ill child with his blessing for it to be public knowledge (evidence to support my side of the arguement) that set me right off... Today was a bad day

Sorry - hope that sorta makes sense...

But yeah, I too get a bit stuck on the evidence, just in a different way