FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie with anxiety/panic with no trigger

Lindy77
Community Member
Hi all my name is Lyndall and I’ve suffered anxiety and panic disorder for years. I am medicated for it, but recently I seem to be having attacks with no trigger. I could be perfectly fine then all of a sudden I’m filled with anxiety and panic. I’m always feeling like I’m going to have a heart attack. I’ve had numerous ECG’S and I’ve had a stress test in the past and they have come back with no problems. I’m scared cause this is debilitating. I do have a fantastic Dr but I feel like I just annoy her with all my anxiety issues. I just don’t know where to turn. 
11 Replies 11

Sophie_M
Hi There Lindy77!

First of all, we are grateful that you have joined our forum community! And we are grateful that you have had the the courage to be so honest here. Thank you!

Breathing slow and deeper as soon as you feel your heart rate spike; having big stretches or comforting moments the instant anything feels weird, and so on. 

There are lots of suggestions for quick activities that can help in these elevated moments from many of the community members here. Feel free to have a read through other's anxiety posts as you wait for some of your peers to spot this posts and talk you through what they know!

In the meantime, if things are feeling unbearable - please reach out to us. You can give us a call on 1300 22 4636 or click here to begin a webchat

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lyndall,

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand it’s hard.

Have you ever tried meditation or mindfulness I have found these both to be helpful for anxiety but they take practice.

Im glad you have a fantastic doctor.

A psychologist can be helpful they can give you many coping strategies for anxiety.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lyndall, these attacks develop because you fear a loss of control but there is no trigger or danger to yourself so an ECG won't be able to indicate that there is anything wrong with you.

Sometimes we need to learn what is actually happening and find ways to overcome this feeling and a psychologist can help you do this.

It won't happen straight away but over time we hope it helps you.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Baileysmells
Community Member

Have you looked into journaling? Meticulously writing down your emotions may help get down to the root of what’s happening and as a side benefit, it’s meditation and a healthy distraction.

Just a thought, I’ve been struggling with attacks recently as well

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lyndall,

I'm sorry for your challenge.

When you say you have a Dr, it he/she a psychiatrist or a psychologist? You say you're 'medicated' so looks like it's a psychologist? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark

Lindy77
Community Member

Hi Mark

i see just my regular GP. 

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Lindy77,

Thanks for sharing.  You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. About a year and a half ago I would constantly experience palpitations and other physical symptoms as a result of my anxiety. I would constantly bother my GP but find out that ultimately nothing was physically wrong. After speaking to a psychologist and learning about health anxiety (which is anxiety around health conditions) I started to learn more about how to get on top of my heart palpitations and physical soreness. It involved mainly use of CBT techniques but it is definitely something worth discussing with a psychologist. Perhaps ask your GP for a referral via a mental health care plan. Hope that helps a bit.

Bob

cakeboss
Community Member

Hi Lyndy ,I to suffer from anxiety panic disorder .I had a fantastic gp who moved so im trying to find the right gp to help me .I found a great Psycologist though who i am seeing .It is personal choice to see a professional .I am also medicated but have found the mindfullness apps she has recommended me to do a few times a day .I currently do the 3 minute mindfullness app .i have taken up walking in the pool for my anxiety but the weather has been bit cold of late .Ive had a few days where my anxiety comes on out of nowwhere .I find music is my saviour if im in the house certain music lifts my anxiety .sometimes music is the only thing to help me .ive been listening to my favorite singers albums .I take a day time to .Finances set off my anxiety something we are working on with my psycologist .

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lyndall..Im Paul

I understand your anxiety symptoms and your anguish .Its a horrible place to be in for sure

Our anxiety/panic symptoms can present without a trigger. This is very common and can be an indicator that we are or have been experiencing ongoing life issues or an ongoing stressful situation

* I hope you can make an appointment with your GP.....a double appointment is always a great idea

* Our GP's have a better understanding of anxiety related symptoms nowadays compared to a few years ago

any questions are always welcome Lyndall...there are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you

we are listening

Paul