FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbie kicking the anxiety way of life

Mauzy
Community Member
Hi I'm a looong time sufferer of anxiety which has this year resulted in depression after a long period of stress. Medication has help sort the depression alongside excercise and some great support from family and a few choice friends. I've now decided to deal with the anxiety with meditation and after a week I'm noticing tiny changes already. Little things aren't bothering me as much, instead of waking during the night with my head buzzing with thoughts I feel more control over those thoughts, and am just feeling a little more positive. I think I just hit a wall and needed to take control of the monster which is anxiety. As for the Christmas stress I experience every year, I'm acknowledging it but not letting anxiety consume me. I AM IN CHARGE not my anxiety!!
16 Replies 16

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mauzy, welcome to the forum. What a great, positive post! A pleasure to read.

There are many people here who would relate to having the anxiety monster, and benefit from learning more about what you've done.

What put you on to meditation and have you found it easy to do? Do you have other strategies as well?

Very best wishes to you

Kaz

Mauzy
Community Member
Thanks Kazzl, a friend has been nagging me to do yoga but I decided to try meditation on my own by downloading an App on my iPad. I've also realised I need to completely change my mindset, once a negative thought enters my head I deflect it before it takes over, therefore my head's a lot clearer. It sounds simple but after a lifetime of being a negative thinker it's going to take a lot of practice. I guess that's why I've joined the forum as a way of keeping myself accountable. I've also had to cease communicating with my younger sister who also has anxiety but just CANNOT LET GO of things that have happened in the past. It's sad but a the moment I have to think about myself first and foremost. She also lacks empathy. When my older sister asked if she knew I was depressed she said "yeah I know that's why I haven't been ringing her"........um gee thanks for the support NOT!

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mauzy, sorry, I've only just seen your response.

I try to do the thought deflection thing too, or at least to replace a negative thought with a positive one. It does take practice but it's quite effective.

There's a great thread on the forum called OTT - Old Thought Thoughts, and it's all about replacing OTTs with new positive thoughts (NPTs). Maybe take a look? It's full of lovely people and is fun.

Sounds like limiting contact with your sister is a good idea for a while. We have to manage the people in our lives and their effect on us in order to manage ourselves.

Hope you'll keep posting hun, and again sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Cheers

Kaz

Mauzy
Community Member
Thanks Kazzl, I will check out that thread you suggested. I've been reading different threads on the forum and I am so glad I took the step of joining.

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Mauzy, welcome to the forums and what an amazing post. "I AM IN CHARGE". Cannot say enough how much i love that quote.

Much respect.

Mark

Autumn77
Community Member

Mauzy that's awesome!

I've been feeling great myself. Your story sounds very similar to mine. Benn tackling social anxiety since a child. Now in my late 30s and too much bad stuff happened over the last 5 years and this year was the straw that broke the camel back.

I went and got help and I've never felt so normal in my life. Not worried about what people think about me and just living free as a bird. I'm glad I got help before a break down. And I forced myself to be positive. Ithe took three months of medication to get here. And I wish I did this earlier.

Love hearing feel good stories. Thanks for sharing and keep on going 😄

Mauzy
Community Member
Thanks Autumn, changing my negative thinking is my biggest challenge. A lifetime of putting myself down, never feeling good enough, never believing in myself culminated in my spiral to depression. I'm just trying to take one day at a time and take charge of my thought patterns instead of my thoughts controlling me.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Cheering you on from the sideline Mauzy! That's such a good attitude. I hope you'll share your experiences with us (only if you want to of course) because I reckon we could all do with a dose of your spirit.

Cheers

Kaz

Mauzy
Community Member
Thanks Kaz. Christmas is usually a very trying time for me but this year feels different. Got through my food shopping today with minimal stress, not fretting about whether I've forgotten anything and generally feeling very calm. It's definitely been a deliberate choice for me to not fall into the anxiety trap at this time and so far so good. Merry Christmas to all. Mauzy