FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New to site

ninja
Community Member

Hi,

Well I would like to first off thank Beyondblue and their new campaign with Dr Ironwood's Man Therapy as it has made me aware that I need to look at getting some help and has made me feel like I am not alone. I am male and 29 years old and from what I can remember since I have been 18 maybe younger I have had the symptoms of Anxiety.

When I read the information about the different types of Anxiety the social phobia really stood out and describes the way I have been for years.

It has really affected my relationships with friends, family and with work also to the point that I am on always on my own. I basically have no social life and I find it hard to start conversations because I know the symptoms will start as soon as enter a social situation. 

Every day I show the signs or symptoms of anxiety, any social interaction I have it could be something as simple as someone asking me a question or starting a conversation I get nervous, blush and try to avoid the situation or conversation. Even tho I want to talk to these people I have no control over it and end up trying to hide until it passes. The main symptom I experience is blushing and feeling nervous when talking to people.

‘They may fear being criticised, embarrassed or humiliated, even in the most ordinary, everyday situations’ this describes what I feel probably most days.

I have kind of grown to feel I was a problem and it was just something wrong with me so it is good to see I am not alone and can start looking into it further.

Suppose you could say I am a typical man with this type of issue and have just hid behind it, but I know I need to do something about it and get help. Would like some advice on where to start, how did you approached a professional or GP about it. I just don’t know how to express it to somebody else as I've always thought it was a problem with me.

2 Replies 2

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Ninja,

GP's can see you anytime so just wait until it suits you to go in and discuss your anxiety.   Sometimes asking for a double session will give you time to release the numbchuckers and organise a Mental Health Plan with its various FREE sessions with psychiatrists/counsellors/pscyhologists/ (?) Channel 7's Prank Patrol with its 2 ninjas that are ever anxious to concoct a plot to prank a friend  (kids tv, don't ask).

Accepting the idea of help is all you need.  And maybe a small bit part in the sequel to "The Protector" kung fu flick set in Sydney.    Most of the GP's or other professional will ask the questions so just be yourself and pretend you're talking to a mate at Macca's.

Adios, David.

PS   You'll be anxious if you do go or anxious if you don't.   My suggestion would be to drink about 2 litres of water 15 mins before and then you'll have to go in just to use the surgery toilet.  Or, as most would advise, take a friend.   Sometimes when I'm anxious about Doctor stuff (note the technical term !) I just book the first appointment of the day - 8am.   Then use your ninja powers to grab a seat from the dozen oldies who appear out of the woodwork for blood tests.

dear Ninja, that's what I do as David Charles has said, I always book the first appointment, for a couple of reasons, you normally don't have wait long, and secondly you don't have all day to stue over the appointment that hasn't happened, in which you may decide to cancel.

The waiting rooms aren't full of screaming kids, and there aren't hundreds of people looking at you, which we always think the worst, and then we crawl into our shell.

The doctor will ask you questions and they weren't born yesterday, they are very astute and can read our minds by looking at our face, or what we have to say, and from there on they ask us something which means a lot to us, and then the ball starts to roll, it will OK, and remember as he says 'You'll be anxious if you do go or anxious if you don't', a very good point. Geoff.