FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

new to anxiety

jodes76
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I have had depression for years, but over the last few months I have also had anxiety. it has come out of nowhere. I am currently on meds for both, but still feel down and anxious
2 Replies 2

Damien
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jody,

Meds are good, but what else is going on for you?  Are you seeing a Psych?  They can be helpful for teaching you new ways of thinking and of confronting your thoughts, for example challenging the anxious ideas in your head.  When you start feeling "this is scary" you can stop and ask yourself "well is it really?  What is scary about this?  What can I do about it?"

There are other options out there, although as I say meds are good.  But meds on their own will never be enough.  Have a chat with your doctor about other oprions.

🙂

Damien.

Anicca
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jody,

It is likely that your anxiety has been masked by your depression. Now, a situation has brought your anxiety to the forefront. Have you looked at all the circumstances leading up to when you noticed the anxiety or do you already know the cause of it? You can try staring it down so it has less power. There is a lot of information on this site and on the Internet. I would suggest the book 'Feeling Good' which is available at libraries and bookshops. It is an in depth guide to CBT- Cognitive Behavioural Analysis. CBT teaches us how to control our anxious thoughts. It is worth reading if you have any interest in understanding the psychology of what is happening. Good luck. Medication is important too. I hope you feel better soon. 

Kind regards,

Alison