FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New job anxiety and depression

Noskillz
Community Member

Hi

I left a position last week that I had held for over 9 years due to bullying tactics from the new store manager.

I accepted a position the same day from a store that was bigger and much more fast paced in my field of expertise. I commenced the position 4 days ago. Since starting the job, I have been experiencing high levels of anxiety, fear, loss of appetite, panic and depression. I am losing sleep and feel so lost. I am not sure what to do. I am feeling that maybe I accepted this position too fast and did not deal with damage from my previous workplace. Part of me is wanting to push through this horrible mental issues, while another part of me wants to be fair to the employer and step aside for a suitable candidate. If I stay in this position., I am going to need to update a lot of my learning as my previous workplace did not provide product training at all. If I did remove myself from this position, I do feel that it would allow me time to sort some of trauma that carried with me from previous job. I am so confused and very unsure of what to do. I would appreciate any advice that can help. Finding it hard to think beyond feeling trapped, scared and panicked.

7 Replies 7

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi
Thanks for presenting this problem which I can see is hard for you. You write well a md have explained how you feel.

You have shown you have many skills to get a new job on the same day you left your old one.
you must have skills and talents that your new employer valued or they would not have employed you.Also the new boss would realise you would need new training and adjusting to the job.

The trauma of 9 years of bullying will take time to work through but also it may affect this new job as it would make you self doubt and anxious about your new work.

I am wondering if there is someone at your new work you feel you’d talk to, maybe someone in H R , or someone a fellow worker may recommend. I know you have only been there a few days but often stores have an orientation training fir new employees.

It is a dilemma because the decisions to stay or leave have their advantages and disadvantages.

Beyond Blue has a support line with trained workers. 1300 22 4636, they offer support advice action. sometimes talking through with another person helps.

Feel free to post here when you want and we can discuss further.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Noskillz,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that anxiety can be hard to deal with.

Whats meant for you always will be.

Have you thought about talking to your current manager about the way you are feeling? I understand it would be a different environment and you will have new challenges but I believe new challenges brings new growth within us.

In regards to the new products you need to learn that’s ok, have a chat to your manager and ask if training can be provided.

Have you thought about talking to your gp about the way you are feeling ? You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many strategies for anxiety…… these strategies will benefit your life.

You really can learn to manage your anxiety.

Noskillz
Community Member

Hi. I talked to my Manager this morning first thing. We came an agreement about reducing my hours for now (my idea), giving me some time to heal, seek some counselling and work on reducing my stress. The best part is I still have a job for financial security. Unfortunately, it doesn't take effect immediately. But a plan is in place. Thank you for the suggestion.

I am not out of the woods with how I am feeling. I do feel some weight has been lifted. A positive sign I hope.

Hi Noskillz,

Thats great that you have spoken to your manager.. well done

It sounds like you have a great plan in place.

Yes please seek your counselling you can learn so many ways to manage your anxiety but it’s a skill and you need to be taught the skills you will get there just keep persevering.

There is no time line on healing just give yourself the space and time you need to do this.

Everything will work out just take it day by day…. Some days may be better than others but eventually the good days will out weigh the bad ones. 😊

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Noskillz,

How would you rate the new employer? Is the manager caring? Is the team supportive? Is the culture positive? Is this the place you want to work at for a long term? If the answers are yes, I would suggest you to stay. Have an open talk to your new manager, tell him/her you really love your new company and new job, you really want to perform and contribute, you really want to have a great teamwork with the colleagues. However you have your own challenge, which is the trauma caused by previous job, and it is still affecting you a lot. Maybe you will get encouragement, emphasy and support from your team and become better and better and start to enjoy your new job. I wouldn't suggest you to give up too quickly. However if you find yourself extremely overwhelmed without any sign of going back to a right track after making all your efforts on your new job, then you may need to reconsider.

Mark

Hi Noskillz,

I'm really sorry to hear that you have been going through that.

I can completely hear you and it sounds like the changes paired with the stress of the old job has made it more stressful now.

I am so glad that you were able to speak to your new manager about how you were feeling and I think reducing the hours to help you cope sounds like a great idea. I think you showed a lot of strength and bravery being able to open up to your manager like that.

Please keep us updated on how you are going, I hope that you are able to heal and feel hopeful and happy again.

We are definitely here for you

Sal1y
Community Member

I can relate to your anxiety trying to balance personal needs with performing in a job.

I started a stressful job 8 months ago and have been anxious basically the whole time.

I've also requested part-time but same as you, cant reduce my hours straight away. It's hard to put on the work persona every day and keep up the pace when so much is going on internally.

I've started to see a counsellor which was absolutely necessary, I was awake at night panicking. The counsellor is encouraging me to compartmentalise work and home, which I find very hard to do. I take my work worries home and try solve problems for the next day, like it's the only way to make the job easier. It's an exhausting trap, I only hope part-time work will give me the space that I need.