FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New Job and scared about not being able to speak properly

ATHL2017
Community Member

Hi all,

First time poster but I have been using Beyondblue for a while. I have a new job tomorrow and its a telemarketing job. I have been so nervous and anxious that I can't speak properly. I think the anxiety is causing me to lisp and I'm scared that this may make me look bad during my first week or even lose my job. I probably know that its anxiety causing these thoughts but they really are impacting my daily life and I hope that after I start work, it will go away. Thanks for reading, this is probably more of a rant to relieve some anxiety but I needed an outlet before tomorrow.

3 Replies 3

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Welcome ATHL what might help as in the past I have had a announcers job just thrust apon me. The nerves kicked in, stammering which isn't me. I just visualized that I was talking to one or two rely old friends, people I'd known for years. The nerves and stammering both disappeared with in minuets, I kept the job for about 3 years. The nerves were still there just in the background. But I functioned well. Just slow down the sepal a little, not to much you will do well.

Kanga

Jugglin_Strugglin
Community Member

Hi ATHL and welcome to BB. Its great that you finally wrote a post. I hope it helps you.

Good luck for tomorrow. You must have overcome a lot of anxiety to get the job, so well done! That is usually the hard part, but I understand how anxious you must be feeling today. No doubt tonight and the morning will be stressful, so expect to feel "it" and don't fight it.

Everyone feels really nervous before starting a new job. Then after the first day, we usually sit back and wonder what we were so worried about. It is fear of the unknown, and of letting ourselves and others down.

It is ironic that anxiety about our fears often causes us to hold back and then our fears are realised.

It is likely there will be other new employees starting tomorrow as well. This is usually what happens in telemarketing, so perhaps that thought may help you feel less alone and less worried. I'm sure there will be an orientation, giving you guidelines of what is expected and the best way to achieve positive outcomes.

Work in telemarketing is judged on performance and sales data. Everyone is different, and have different voices, so any speech impediment will not affect your ability to connect to people on the phone. It is more important that you listen to the person on the other end and decide what to say that will help form that important connection. Be prepared for rude replies and hangups. It happens a lot to everyone, some people are unbelievable- quite eye opening! It is vital that you don't take these responses personally. It is the person on the other end who has the problem.

Anyway, I think a lisp is cute and endearing. It would not stop me listening to a telemarketers spiel. There are many high achievers who lisp...Ita Butrose is one who jumps to mind. What a career, she is still achieving great things. She must have had huge anxiety over becoming such a public figure. Australian women wouldn't be what they are today if she didn't put her anxiety to the back of her mind at the start of her career.

Off on tangents there! As I said, you wouldn't be human if your anxiety wasn't dialled up overnight and in the morning. So try and take your mind off it, easy said I know, but try and do whatever coping strategies work for you. If all else fails...think of the money!!

It will be Monday night soon enough.

Hoping your day goes better than you could have imagined.

Lee xo

Hi ATHL2017

I am curious, how did you go yesterday? Kanga and Lee made some great points. We ALL feel anxious before starting a new role and it might stay with you during these early days. When I am talking in a meeting or presenting I feel that the nervousness must be coming through in my voice but most people say that they can't tell. A lot of it is our over active imaginations playing tricks on us!

What are some of the other aspects of the role for you to think about? Such as your manager, your team members, the product or service you are talking about. Talking to potential customers is only one aspect of the role.

Take a deep breath - you are in the role and it is yours to enjoy.