FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Need some information.............

Blackecho
Community Member
I was diagnosed over two years ago with anxiety/post traumatic stress after a close call with death. I had a few panic attacks but with the help of a great GP nipped it in the bud pretty quickly with some anti depressants/psychologist. I was able to get off the antis and coped pretty well but have developed a fear of ageing or more so become incapacated in some way. Anyways about a  year ago I started feeling faint/weak/dizzy/off balance feelings on and off but became nearly 24/7 feeling like I had just come off a merry go round.  I was tested for BVVP ..ear stuff but this all seemed  ok although I did get tinnitus Was also tested for heart stuff and all good too. I was actually told this is all caused by anxiety. I managed to beat it again but seems in the last few months to   have come back. I don't have any heart pounding....tight chest etc.....I also have been told I have the fight/flight response.  Do these sound like symptoms of anxiety?
10 Replies 10

S_A_D_
Community Member

Anxiety comes in many forms, generated by many causes and circumstances, and includes many symptoms. The only common denominator for anxiety that I know of is a fixation on the future. This is consistent with both your fear of ageing and your fear of incapacitation. These fears may be both a cause of anxiety, and a symptom of something else, possibly environmental or social in nature.

Symptoms like heart pounding and tightness of chest are typical of intense anxiety, but can present in cases of mild anxiety if there are comorbid problems affecting these areas. If anxiety is left untreated, these symptoms may develop over time, and can affect heart health.

A history of panic attacks, combined with your increasing tendency to feel faint, weak, dizzy and off balance, and any other symptoms you have either failed to mention or don't know about, may indicate that you have developed a long term psychological condition which includes anxiety.

It sounds to me like the act of fearing ageing and incapacitation could result in accelerated ageing and/or incapacitation. Talk about (analogy) shooting yourself in the foot during a hike. I do this to myself all the time, and wish I had asked for help earlier. I suggest going back to your GP, and reading up on how to manage anxiety. Beyond Blue could be a good place to start.

TJ80
Community Member

Yes! The dizziness can be from the Anxiety. When your nervous system is" out of whack", so are you. I found that going to the Chiropractor and having a full adjustment, woke up the nervous system and I saw clearly and focussed for the first time in years. This is a treatment I use to combat the dizziness/un-balanced side of my Anxiety Disorder and it helps. Feeling dizzy increases the Anxiety as it is a frightening sensation. Get enough sleep, do a little exercise, this helps too.

And always see a Doctor if things get worse. Best of luck..

Blackecho
Community Member
Hey TJ thanks for that ...............gonna make an appointment for the chiro ...makes a lot of sense...  Had this for four months last year ....spent so much time thinking was a physical problem with my ears etc.... they told me it was Phobic Postural Vertigo...I looked it up and yeah I match all the symptoms....Its not that I feel in a panic... or anything ......just yeah unbalanced and gonna faint type of feeling and seems to be most of the time....not just episodes...and naturally the anxiety about feeling like that makes it worse .weird....last year I hid away for four months .........not doing that now.......have appt with psych for some CBT...and a neuro physio to see if they can help......and now the chiro so I am up for the battle lol....and thank god I have a fantastic GP.  Do antidepressants help this sort of anxiety ?................ I have been on one once before........

TJ80
Community Member

Goodluck with it- let us know how you get on with the Chiropractor. I know they work wonders for me, so I hope they do the same for you.

I can't comment on Anti-depressants, as I have chosen a lifestyle without medication. I am sure they have helped many people, but they were not for me.

Let me know if any of the other treatments are successful for you. You just have to keep trying different things, til you find what works for you.

Blackecho
Community Member

Thanks.........I will let you know how it all goes...... I did actually start the anti  depressants but now I am not sure if the light headedness is from them or from anxiety still don't really understand where the anxiety is coming from ..haven't had a lot of sleep this week so maybe that's causing the lighthead........so many maybes lol   .only been on them for four days ...might stop them until I look further into other avenues.............its really the last thing I wanna do ............but I do want this to stop....

cheers and thanks

Blackecho
Community Member
Yeah after 5 days on Antis.............am deciding to stop............thick head feeling like need to pop my ears or something and slight nausea..............gonna go with the no meds approach...............not sure if it is the side effects or the bloody anxiety ..I shall see I suppose............

TJ80
Community Member

When I looked into anti-anxiety medication, I was told by my doctor that the anxiety can get to the worst its been at the beginning of the course of medication and then slowly starts alleviating the anxiety after about 3 weeks. I had 1 tablet and fainted the next morning, so threw the packet away and realised it was not for me. 

I tested my PH levels this morning (level 7-7.5 is supposed to be where your body needs to be, to be at its healthiest). Mine was slightly acidic (6.5) which can cause fear, stress, anger etc. So I am currently looking at foods to add to my diet to get that level spot on. Just another natural way getting my body to his healthiest. I'm hoping it will have a positive impact.

Blackecho
Community Member
Wow.....you are a wealth of knowledge.....never heard about Ph levels ..another thing I can look into........ cheers ...let me know how u go ...

Scotty2013
Community Member
Hi BlackEcho yes it does, Dizziness is a common symptom not nice , I had it very bad at one point for i think a week straight. If i could cut my Adrenal Glands i would, that's how much i hate Anxiety. TC