FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My wellbeing failures

Soldierx
Community Member

Hi I'm Soldierx or thats what I will call myself I dont know what is wrong with me but I have a lot of issues bugging me let me tell you a few:

• I served for 21 years in the ARA, I have a service medal
  • I have worked at all levels and since leaving defence have worked in many other roles in mining and Energy sectors 
  • I have worked and lived in remote locations for most of my life and still do
  • I marriage broke up many years ago after 27 years no notice just told that it was over and she wanted to move on
  • I experience pain in many places at times from being a Veteran
  • I was conditioned to think and act in ways that do affect your transition although I think I have done a good job returning to civilian life
  • I feel depressed about many things job, life style and location
  • I don't have savings seem to always spend
  • I do have some investments.
  • I want to retire. 
  • I am a few years short of retiring age.
  • I consider every day how I could retire.
  • I hate my job, but I don't want to go into details (all the usual things that make a job bad)
  • I have like a breathing issue since Covid vaccination, but doctors just ignore me and prescribe nasal sprays.
  • I have a X Ray that shows an 8mm Spot in my lung but am told it doesn't have legs at present?
  • I think everything is a scam and trust nobody online.
  • I ignore 02 numbers as they are scams.
  • I did a good job in a senior position and then applied for a transfer and then was made accountable for two years of poor operation and I feel like my job profile and character have been assassinated by old school methods and other managers shifting all their accountability to the next person.
  • I have grandkids one I haven't even met in real life yet due to my work commitments. Although I tried a few times.
  • I got locked down in Queensland during the border closes and was forced to spend all my savings until the Government opened WA again although I have never been compensated by government for anything and was forced to pay 2k for accomodation in Perth???, now no one seems to care about any of it?
  • I'm stuck mentally doing something I hate and can't afford to relocate.

Anyway, I'm soldierx and this is my life at present.

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome 

Thankyou for your service.

I'm 67yo and joined the RAAF in 1973 at 17yo. However it wasn't for me so after 3 years I left. Only 3 years, could I re-enter civvy street without a concern, no way, the RAAF was a lifestyle 24 hours a day as I lived on base. So your 21 years would be difficult in many ways. 

We cannot diagnose here, we're volunteers that have lived experience that pass on survival tips. Certainly some of what you say you're enduring can be associated with mental health issues eg being a spender is common with ADHD yet it could be boredom, depression is common when there's no satisfaction in life and do on. Hence the need for an accurate diagnosis.

You might be aware that you are entitled to a white card or gold that will provide you with 100% mental health costs including travel. 

It sounds like you have had both mental and physical challenges in your life and often that leads to a need to retire early, how you do that can be problematic so see an accountant. 

I'm glad you've posted and feel free to repost anytime.

TonyWK 

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Soldierx~

Welcome here to the Forum. I hope you are going to find it helpful. Before I start let me apologize for my ignorance in not being familiar with "ARA". I am guessing it is division of the ADF.

Life seems ot have handed you a pretty tough go and I hope now it is going to start to improve. Transitioning out of Defense is deceptively hard, I had a somewhat similar transition out of the police and have still not made it entirely. The practices and ethos of civilian life are too different.

I could go through your list and try to say something encouraging about each item however they would come across for the most part as just words and even be a bit annoying.

So I'll go different way and firstly ask you what you would like to do when you retire? Not everyone plans for it and when the time comes they are at a loose end. You have already experienced one major transition, and this will be another one. While it does depend a bit on finances that is by no means all there is to it.

The other thing I'd suggest is to do what I do and reserve a small portion at the end of each day to do something I enjoy - or at least distracts me from life. It is a sort of self-reward and can come to be something one looks forward to each day. In my own case I use books, movies, music, walking outside the house to get rid of all the echoes of hard times and lots of other things too - talking with  someone I like being another.

I"m sure you own list of things would be very different.

I hope we can talk some more

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Soldierx~

Welcome to the Forum, I hope it becomes useful to you. Before I go further let me apologies for my ignorance, I’m not familiar with “ARA”, I presume it must be part of the ADF

Life has handed you a hard time and I hope things start to improve.  Transitioning out of the ADF is deceptively hard to do. I have had a similar transition out of the police and am still not completely there. The work practices and ethos of civilian life is too different.

I guess I could go through each of the items in your very organized list and give a bit of encouragement on each, however I suspect they would be seen as just words and may even end up a bit annoying.

So I’ll go a different way. May I ask what you would like to do when you do retire?  An awful lot of people do not plan for it and when it happens, they are at a loose end and not that happy about it. You have already experienced one transition and retirement is another. True it may depend in part on your finances, but that is not the whole of it.

The other thing is to suggest you do as I do, and reserve a small part at the end of each day to do something you like, or at least distracts you from the ordinary world.  It is a sort of self-reward, and gives me something ot look forward ot each day.

I can use a chapter of a favorite book, a TV show or movie, just getting out of the house with all its echoes of hard times, and another thing is talking to a friend. There are lots more.

I’m sure your own list would be very different.

I hope we get to talk again

Croix

David35
Community Member

You mentioned you have some physical issues from active service. Can Department Veteran Affairs help in any way with compensation,  payments, etc. ?