FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My parents dont understand my anxiety...

camilagrace
Community Member

So in the last year, i discovered that i have anxiety. I was reading an article and everything seemed to describe me. So i did some more research and yep, i definitely have it.

It took me a while to open up to my parents to tell them but when i did they brushed it off as 'normal teenage behaviour'. I've researched like everything there is to know about the topic so i know that i have it but they dont seem to understand.

I also have big sleeping troubles which is also linked to anxiety and gut problems - another symptom. I've had panic attacks in front of them and they seem to think im just hormonal or something. They dont understand that my heart literally feels like its beating out of my chest and im having trouble breathing and i physically CANNOT stop crying. And at school, for hours and hours on end i cant take my focus off this one thing that is worrying me.

I dont know how to explain to them that i have a serious problem so that they actually understand that something is wrong.

Please help xx

(dont know if any of that made any sense)

2 Replies 2

Terry73
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi camilagrace,

I do understand what you are going through, I had some stressful situations in my teens, and anxieties, but when I would bring them up to my parents the responses used to be along the lines of "its just a phase" or "what have I got to be stressful about, Im just a teen", sadly back then I never had the resources they do these days.

I would strongly suggest you see a counselor at the school, and a GP if you can, get an expert to diagnose you officially that way you can show your parents that its not just a hormonal thing. The GP and counselor will give you the best solutions in which to cope as well.

You are always welcome to talk on here, we might not have the advice for you always, but you can be sure we will always listen, and help by giving encouragement and emotional support.

Terry

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Camilagrace, and thanks for posting your comment and a warm welcome.

I'm just so sorry that your condition wasn't accepted by your parents by saying it's only 'hormonal and normal teenage behaviour', but being a teenager means so much because there is so many different thoughts come into mind, your school work, your mates, and developing an attraction towards another person and possibly being afraid of what may happen, all of these, whether they are all joined together or singular makes a huge difference for you.

It's even hard to decide when to open up to your parents, maybe today, tomorrow or even on the spur of the moment, that's even difficult and of course, increases your anxiety.

When you’re anxious, it maybe embarrassing to admit that things seem to be easy for other people aren't for you when you're depressed, spending a lot of time in your room, avoiding the family and telling you just to 'snap out of it', you can't do this.

Don't forget that they may not be feeling happy if you’re not happy but are hiding it, hoping that doing this may change how you are feeling, but it doesn't seem to work that way, because you want to tell them so much about your anxiety, however, if you say to them that you really need to speak to your doctor, then take your mum, because what the doctor tells them carries a lot of weight and will wake them up.

Remember you can always talk to an aunt/uncle, grandmother or even your school counsellor or perhaps a teacher, sorry I'm only trying to open up all the avenues possible, but don't let this sit, if you do then it's going to get worse, we don't want this to happen.

Best wishes and please let us know.

Geoff.