FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

my class is starting to bully me and it won't change

jessepinkmanfan
Community Member

so i'm in the middle of my high school years and i've been at my current school since the start of 2022 since i left my old school for a similar reason. i'm a quite loud, open person who overshares and usually people aren't big fans of that, which i can understand, so i try to work on my voice level and stuff. well, my class liked me for a bit, but then since the start of term 3 people have just started to be mean and snappy to me. i haven't even done anything.... and half my class had gone against me and talked about me and my mental health behind my back. they say i use it for an "excuse" for everything (i have a GAD and am always in a really low mood/have suicidal thoughts). they also make fun of my loud/people pleasing habits and at that point i have tried to change how i act to my class. it's really not fair. i don't like feeling like i have to walk on eggshells just to make OTHER PEOPLE not be mean to me. i can't just "stand up for myself" or "ignore it" like everyone tells me to because it doesn't work that way. that won't automatically erase the problem. at least for me it won't. before everyone asks i've told teachers, counsellors, and my parents and the school says they'll "deal with it" (this happened a week ago and they have not "dealt with it") and my parents say i need to ignore it and stand up for myself since they're not going to move me again. i know it sounds really petty but i'm hypersensitive so this is why it made me mad, i wrote a happy birthday thing on the whiteboard for my favourite celebrities since the class did that a lot and so did i, and someone genuinely yelled across the room really rudely and told me to rub it off cause "nobody cares". nobody in this class except like 5 people talk to me anymore. i feel like i'm only there in class to be judged by everyone else. i don't like feeling like me always feeling like i don't want to go on is unnatural and i should "fix it". my next psychology appointment is this afternoon but i feel like i should let everything out on here because i really want to cry and just never go to school again because of this. i hate my school so much.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hey jessepinkmanfan

Thank you so much for joining us on the Forums today. We think it is a great step to reach out today and share what you are going through at the moment. We imagine it took a lot of courage to share today and we really appreciate it. We are also really happy to hear that you are speaking with your psychologist today and we hope that is helpfulf for you.

If you do want to speak to someone before that, we are always here for you on 1300 22 4636 or on webchat if thats easier for you. We also recommend our friends at KidsHelpline who are great! You can call them on 1800 55 1800  as well.

Thanks again for joining this community, please feel free to update us if you feel comfortable doing so. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi jessiepinkmanfan,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Bullying is never ok and I’m sorry you are dealing with this.

I understand that people can be mean and I’m sorry you have felt this but please know it’s a reflection of the people who are being mean and it’s not you at all.

Please try to remember that we can’t control how people treat us but what we can control is how we react to it.

The way you react will either give you a negative impact or a positive impact inside yourself you get to choose.

If someone is mean to you, you could just simply say to yourself this person is on a different path than me and this is where they are and I can’t control that……… I’m choosing just to let it go.

Smile to yourself if you can master this because if you can keep calm in a un calm situation you win.

It takes practice 

willdoanythingtohelp
Community Member

Hi Jesse,

My name is Bill and I am 55.

I agree with both Sophie and Petal but most importantly I would suggest that you don't change yourself for anyone unless there is malice in your behaviour towards others.

The reason for mentioning my age is to set out that most of my life I have tried to please everyone around me. This is an outstanding feature and character of you as well but does not always work in your favour as people see your kindness, and in some way take advantage of this.

Just briefly I am and have been subject to this most of my life and currently at work at this very point and know personally that it is a hard and sometimes lonely road to travel due to the stigma surrounding this.

I hope you get the support that you need and any time if you need to respond by all means contact me via Beyond Blue.

I am glad that you have contacted them as you will get the right advice and support.

In the immortal words of Carol King (singer/songwriter)

"You have to wake up every morning with a smile on your face"

Keep on smiling Jesse, you yourself are worth it.

Kind Regards

Bill