FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My anxiety is getting worse...help me, help myself

kalli
Community Member

A few years ago after suffering unexplained symptoms, I went to see a psychologist & was instantly diagnosed with anxiety. Thankfully she taught me a few ways to help control & reduce my symptoms which after a few months seemed to work. After this, the symptoms appeared very rarely and I was able to quickly gain control and tell myself "its all in your head, you're okay".

6 months ago I went overseas for the first time in 10 years and was faced with these symptoms all over again... Constant dizziness, hot flashes, feeling faint or shaky, loss of appetite and the URGE to escape. Since returning home these symptoms have become worse & worse to the point where I am experiencing them multiple times, every single day. This has interfered with my entire life to the point where I exclude myself from social events because of the fear that I will experience a panic attack & no one will be able to help me or I will just end up embarrassing myself. It has affected me at work to the point where I sometimes leave early.. I can't do things like go to the bank or wait in line. I've become so impatient that if I'm at a place for longer than 15-30mins I begin to feel so ill and almost as if I'm going to pass out or die.

Today was the final straw... I went to do some shopping (my favourite hobby) and within 20 mins of being under bright lights and around so many people I began to feel very spaced out, light headed and extremely hot. I quickly thought to myself I NEED to get out of here so I rushed for the door which felt like it was so far away that I began to feel worse & worse as I rushed to my car. The minute I sat in my car and turned on the air con I felt fine again... PLEASE someone tell me I'm not going crazy. I'm so sick of these feelings, I just want it all to go away and to be able to enjoy the things I love to do. I'm so scared that I'm going to end up locking myself up at home because that's the only place I feel safe. I don't want to result to medication, I just want to be able to help myself. I know I have it in me... I just need the tools to be able to gain support again. Anyone else feeling the same? What works for you??

3 Replies 3

kalli
Community Member
Sorry, I meant gain control again **

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Kalli~

Welcome to the Forum. A good first step when things are worrying or overwhelming.

No, you are not going crazy, you would seem to be like me, and suffer some of the effects of anxiety.

I've had chronic anxiety, together with other things, for a very long time, and by and large it is under pretty good control, not perfect, but not much chance of embarrassing myself by a panic attack unexpectedly. My symptoms have paralleled yours, plus more.

I've read what you've said and it seems to me that just a few ways to help control & reduce my symptoms as taught by your psychologist is no longer enough for your escalating condition.

I tried to ignore things for as long as I could, and it was a bad move, making my treatment more lengthy and difficult.

May I suggest you go to your GP, book a long consultation and set out in detail what is happening to you, and any factors in your current lifestyle that may be influencing your stress levels. Set out also your history, and the measures you are taking at the moment. It should be obvious that things are currently not good.

Just in passing I'll mention the only way I could give all the information, without making a hash of it, was to write it all out beforehand and then share the paper in the consultation.

This may very well result in meds, more visits to a psychologist, therapy and guided self help.

I know you are reluctant to use medication. Look at it this way, if you were a diabetic you would take insulin, highly inconvenient but necessary to combat a problem in your body. Medications for anxiety and other mental conditions should be viewed the same way -though when well balanced not inconvenient.

They may need some trial and error to get the best effect, and may need further adjustment from time to time, but can be essential in many cases -they have been in mine.

The exercises and coping mechanisms: I guess basically this is why one sees a psychologist, to get and practice the tools you need to overcome stress levels, panic attacks and so on. A collaborative effort, with meds -if prescribed- giving a basic level from which to work.

Have a look round The Facts menu above, & this Forum too for others with similar problems

Please post again

Croix

First off I know in my own case controlling the symptoms was only a stop-gap measure at best. Highly important, should be continued, but once a certain threshold is reached there really isn't much choice except to try to deal with underlying causes.

RobbieP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey kalli!

What your going through must be hurting you heaps but it's ok and normal so never feel embarrassed.

Im a current serving member of the Australian Defence Force and I suffer from depressive PTSD and anxiety,

During panic attacks your brain goes straight into flight or fight mode, it's hard to deal with sometimes as I experience panic attacks all the time.

The way I handled it was building my brain through meditation and mindfulness techniques.

Mediatation but concentrating on something really hard like a candle and flame and really admiring the shape of the flame and the different movements this would effectively bring my conscious out of flight or fight mode.

Mindfullness, relaxation techniques is something I used alot this would stop me from feeling tension which would eventually lead me to a panic attack. There are many apps out there such as insight timer (:

A good point by Croix, medication is ok, it's there to help change tha imbalance back to your frame of mind!

I hope I have helped we are always here for you (: take care