FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Moving out

Georgiafleur
Community Member
My name is Georgia, i am 22 and i have had debilitating anxiety for as long as i can remember, i have seen many psychologists and am currently medicated which i had upped to a higher dose.

Friday the 12th of June i moved out of the family home up in the country and down to Melbourne on my own into an apartment
The minute my family left this crippling anxiety came over me and i could not stop crying and hyperventilating and instantly regretted my decision to move away
I dont think i gave myself enough time to fully be ready
And i feel i just rushed into it without really considering if i was ok
As the days have gone on i have felt worse and worse and worse
I am really not coping at all and am at the point where i cant even bring myself to go outside even to the supermarket which is not like me! At all
This friday i have made the decision for me and am moving back home to be with my family where i am comfortable and can work on my mental health with family around me rather than in my thoughts all alone in a huge city feeling miserable

Is it wrong of me to want to go home to Give myself some more time to be fully ready to move out on my own?

Am i stupid for not forcing myself to stay here even though i have this crippling anxiety that is making me shake and sweat?
3 Replies 3

Malaalsieh
Community Member

Hi Georgia

one thing I learnt was to never force anything especially when it came to healing. Moving out is overwhelming as it is, but to do it on your own with anxiety is another. Since you have asked for someone’s opinion I believe you should go back home. Times like this you need the support around you. It doesn’t mean you have failed, it just means you may need more time and that’s ok.

There’s no right or wrong to your anxiety. It’s more what you feel comfortable with. Go back home and work on how to handle your anxiety, that’s the key. Learn to manage and then move back out again.

All the best

AlwaysForgotten
Community Member

Hi Georgia,

There is an old saying that "something is not a mistake until you fail to correct it".

I think the point here is that it is more important that you learned something from this experience that you can use to help you in the future, rather than whether this venture was successful or not or what you should or shouldn't have done.

Being able to look back on it to see if there were signs you missed, if you learned something about yourself and in being in that situation that will help you in the future and how you can tackle this the next time around, are all important parts of learning about life.

When I was about 22 I packed everything up and moved across the other side of the country. I didn't know anyone and my biggest fear in life was that I didn't want to be alone. It was tough and I haven't felt more alone than I did at that time in my life, but what I learned was that it didn't kill me, so everything that I worried about turned out not to be true.

So while this worked out for me, I never would have known that if I didn't try it to begin with, so the fact you gave it a go has given you invaluable insight into where you are at, something you never would have learned had you not done it at all. So many others would have never done it and just assumed what would happen, but you took action.

There is nothing stupid in having a go

Romy
Community Member
Hi Georgia, I know you posted this a long time ago but I’m wondering how the situation turned out for you? I am currently in the exact same position. I moved out of home and when I got there I realised I’d made a huge mistake, I wasn’t ready and it wasn’t what I wanted. I came home after only 2 nights. I feel like I have failed and not sure if I should’ve pushed through even though I feel deep down it was not the right thing for me. How are you going after your experience?