FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Moving house anxiety

Kittykatluv
Community Member
I’ve got bad moving house anxiety, does anyone else suffer from this, I’ve moved house every year for the last 10 years and I’m so done with it all. I now have really bad anxiety from it, I can’t handle situations that are out of my control, it makes me so scared.
4 Replies 4

calmseeker
Community Member

Hi Kittykatluv,

You read my mind! Just today I was researching potential rental properties, I went to look at a few as yet another move is pending. I was in the car thinking, I wonder if anyone else out there feels like a total anxious mess over moving? Like you,I am over it, and I have realised its a definite trigger for another anxiety episode that may last months. Looking back I see a pattern. Every time I move I get quite ill, I think something is physically wrong with me and GP always says its anxiety and my bloods etc always come back fine. I become not well for at least 3 months after every move.

I have had a few less moves than you, mine is a new place every 2 years and that seems too much to handle so I cant imagine how every year feels you poor thing. This particular move with be after just 12 months in current property. I used to get quite excited about moving, but that was in my university years. After a 15 year relationship breakup, moving has been so stressful ever since. That relationship ending came with a sale of a home and I never got back on the housing market again and have rented ever since and cant get off the rental roundabout due to financial hardship. Its unfortunate that rents are so high in this country and the affordable properties are difficult to get as so many people are applying for them and even with great references/rental history I struggle to even get into open homes. Each move costs thousands with bond and expenses of cleaning/carpets/removalist. I seem always to be financially catching up from the last move. As stressful as the financial part of it is, its the pending anxiety that I hate the most. I just want a home, I don't want to feel like I am living in hotels, I want some stability, a place to heal and feel at peace and settled. I would say I am quite a homely person, my environment really affects my mental health. I understand some people can embrace changes and find it exciting, new chapter thing and all, but that's not me.

I hope my ramblings make you not feel so isolated with regards to your moving anxiety. I would love to chat with you some more about it. I understand it when you say it feels 'out of your control and makes you scared', I think its natural for you to feel this way about a basic human necessity such as housing. I hear you!

Sending you calm vibes

CS

calmseeker
Community Member

Oh, and I just realised its your first post, so welcome! I am somewhat new-ish here also. These forums are very helpful and I have been given lots of support and understanding from various people. People are kind here so you've come to the right place.

CS

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Kittykatluv, and a warm welcome to the forums.

Absolutely, without any doubt, it takes you out of your comfort zone, the surroundings you are used to living by, and then to pack all your belongings up, wrapping them in paper and then box them is very distressing and to be left with an empty house/flat.

The last two, while I was single after the divorce triggered a relapse both times, you feel as though 'you've lost something else' again.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Horse_Crazy
Community Member
I have been trying to move house for the last 10 years and when it comes time to go I am absolutely petrified and my anxiety runs wild with all the what if’s and when I pull the pin on it I go back to normal and regret not moving over and over again. 😞