FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Morning fear

Twinny
Community Member

Hello just wanted to reach out to someone who may be experiencing morning anxiety … so hard to get going alone every day feel so stuck and at my age I should have it all together but I don’t … with so much going on in the world plus the worst floods I am in a struggle for the fourth time to keep going .. does anyone else feel like this ? 

10 Replies 10

Sophie_M
Hi Twinny

We are sorry to hear that you are finding the morning difficult. We want to thank you for showing the courage to share this with the community. We imagine it took a lot of courage to post here in the morning when you might not have been feeling your best. 

If you want to chat to someone about how you are feeling, please feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636 anytime. Our team are here to talk about anything, whenever you need us. 

This community is a warm and open one, we hope you can find other conversations to join if you feel up to it as well as meeting people here. Thank you again for the courage to post and share.

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Twinney,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand morning anxiety can be really hard to deal with.

Ive experienced this in the past I knew it would get better towards the afternoon so I just tried to ride it out and kept busy.

You could try some mindfulness or meditation.

Have you spoken to your gp about your anxiety?

Im sorry to hear of the floods I understand this would be difficult.

We are here as a community to support you.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Twinny,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling. Yes, in my experience of depression and anxiety I would find the mornings the most difficult part of the day and often just leave everything to the afternoon. After speaking with my psychologist I found that activity scheduling (trying to create a daily routine) helped as it is quite hard to break a habit once it is formed and I found that once I started the day, things got easier. e.g. Trying to eat breakfast at the same time each day, trying to get out of bed at the same time each day etc.

Hope that helps,

Bob

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Twinny,

I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling but glad that you have reached out and posted on the forum. Morning anxiety is something I struggle with as well and as you've said, with everything going on in the world, it's understandable that anyone would find the mornings difficult. 

For me, since high school, it's been hard to get anywhere or get anything done in the morning. After the pandemic, things just got worse and I never left my house to go anywhere before afternoon. Recently with things opening back up and uni and work coming back in-person, I almost had no choice. Working along with my therapist we built up some of my confidence around mornings. Like Bob_22, creating a morning routine and getting out in the morning, even for simple tasks like buying a coffee, has really helped. It's not easy to overcome morning anxiety, but it's definitely possible.

Wishing you the best, 

Beeee

Twinny
Community Member

thank you so much for these comments I am so trying to keep a routine for the morning esp ..it’s a fear feeling  like impending doom that I find hard to kick away .. my life is good and that is what makes it all seem worse … I don’t work now and spend lots of time alone probably doesn’t help me but I choose not to work at my age now .. was thinking about doing some volunteering work for some social company what’s everything think of this .. I also feel more depressed of late with the floods and rains that have stopped us all doing anything and are still hanging around we have had 2 mtrs of rain in 3 months here .. does anyone have any ideas of how I can feel better alone ? Appreciate your comments 👋🏻

Beaser
Community Member

Hi Twinny.

Im not sure if ive experienced the same . I do t times go to bed early and dread when the morning light starts to show. I think its just a trigger that theres another day ahead.  It seems to run in cycles though and when im feeling ok it doesnt take on that feeling.      Im really sorry to read of your floods experience it must be such a tough thing to go through.  Please feel free to talk more or reply as im keen to hear how you are going.      

Take care   youve come to a good place here    . Brett.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Twinny,

Hope you're well. Yes it can certainly be hard to keep a routine if you don't have the motivation or extra push that employment gives. Especially if you're alone or required to be at home most of the time. I am in a similar situation at the moment where I am not working and am required to be at home most of the time. I find it easier to break the day up into blocks where you dedicate certain hours of the day to each pursuit e.g. cleaning, exercise, reading, etc. 

Volunteering for social company is a great idea! Try to find something you're passionate about and email to see if they're looking for volunteers. I know lifeline is always looking for people to help behind the scenes and there is volunteer hub here on beyond blue as well. Apart from that, if you know of any classes in your area or support groups you'd like to attend that might be another way to have more social activity. Hope that helps

Bob

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi Twinny,

Mornings are where my anxiety and depression are at their worst.

For me, The first step is acknowledgement. I'm like 'yep, this is anxiety and thats OK - I forgive myself' Trying to fight it kinda makes it worse, I just let it take its course.

Then I say to myself - Today is a new day and its going to be freaking awesome. Then I start to think about what I need to do to get ready, planning my day etc etc.

and at night I acknowledge the day ive had. It could have been good or bad but acknowledging it helps me get past the bad and I look forward to the next day.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Twinny,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry you are experiencing anxiety in the morning. I think it is important to remember that there is no set time to have it all figured out. 

Have you reached out to your GP or mental health professional about this?

Jaz xx