FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Morning Anxiety

JulieS101
Community Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice for severe morning anxiety. Every morning I wake up with extreme anxiety that often leaves me feeling super hopeless and not wanting to leave bed. I usually wake up in a gasp and I won’t eat anything as I feel sick. It is at a point where I dread going to sleep as I know the morning will be horrible 

6 Replies 6

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Julie

This sounds so incredibly stressful and frustrating. I feel so much for you as you try your best to cope with such an overwhelming challenge.

Wondering whether there's anything you dread waking up to each day (like a stressful job or person) or whether there's a lot of stressful stuff on your mind the night before when you go to sleep. If 'No' to both, something a little more outside the square: Do you dream a lot (nightmares included), which is perhaps playing havoc with your nervous system overnight? Has anyone ever suggested the possibility of sleep apnea, another thing that plays havoc withe the nervous system? Being a gal who's treated for sleep apnea, I can relate to waking up gasping for air, with my heart racing.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Julie,

I am sorry you are going through and thank you for being here. I have definitely experienced this before and it is quite distressing and valid to want to stay in bed. What helped me was seeing a psychologist who helped me to sort through these feelings and incorporate strategies to work through them. I have not had these feelings in years due to this help. I would recommend starting by seeing your GP and explaining what is going on.

I hope things improve soon,

Jaz xx

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Julie, 

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling so much with anxiety. It sounds like it is really affecting you and causing a lot of disruption to your life. Do you have anyone who you are close with that you feel you are able to talk to for support? Have you considered speaking with a GP or other health professional you trust who may be able to help identify what may be causing you to experience this? 

Take care.

Hey, I do have issues with General Anxiety so I think it is regarding that. I am going back onto my anti-depressants so hopefully, this stops. I will look into sleep Apena though, thank you for the reply 🙂

JulieS101
Community Member

Hey Jaz, Yes I think I may start counselling. I saw my GP recently to go back onto medication and she advised I focus on this and then seek counselling which I plan to do soon. Thanks for the reply 🙂 

Hey, I have talked to my GP recently and she advised I to go back onto medication which I have been thinking of doing. Thanks for the reply 🙂