FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Menopause anxiety

JazzieJay
Community Member

Hi,

I have come onto this forum for some advice.  At 43 (now 48) I went through perimenopause and suffered from panic attacks, anxiety, low mood, depression. I went on HRT and the panic attacks subsided along with many other menopausal systems but I am now post menopausal but still suffering from anxiety on a daily basis along with low mood.  Has anyone got any advice on how to help with this.  I am seeing a psychologist and have just started on anti-anxiety medication. Hopefully I see a change soon. I know it takes time to get better. 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hello JazzieJay

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post and sharing with us how you are feeling. We are sorry to hear that you’ve being struggling with anxiety and low mood every day and it sounds like you are doing lots of things to help support yourself on your journey to feeling better. It’s good to hear you are seeing a psychologist to help you manage these symptoms. We also think it’s always good to keep your GP updated with anything related to your health and physical symptoms. Please know that the Beyond Blue counsellors are here for you as well, and you can call us on 1300 22 4636 anytime if you feel like talking it through. We’re sure we’ll hear from our lovely community here soon, but in the meantime here’s some resources and conversations on managing anxiety you might find interesting: Some strategies for managing anxiety. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/mental-health/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/anxiety-management-strate... This previous thread where community members shared some of their Beyond Blue’s anxiety management strategies. https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety/td-p/50482 Thanks again for posting here. We’re here to listen and offer support and our community is really kind and understanding, we think they’ll have some really helpful advice and perspectives. Kind regards, Sophie M

Richju
Community Member

Hi Jazzie-Jay,

Thank you for your post, which I'm sure many women will relate to. Menopause can be a difficult time, when we often feel alone and misunderstood and I think these feelings tend to drag on for a while. 

Although I'm well past menopause - I can still remember it vividly, especially the low energy. I made sure I exercised each day, even if it was for five minutes. I also allowed myself plenty of rest.

I put on a lot of weight during that time and that was depressing for me too but now I concentrate on my health rather than my appearance. making sure I drink plenty of water, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly.  Meditation has also helped with my anxiety. It takes time to incorporate it into your day but it's well worth the effort.

There is life after menopause! This can be a good time to set new goals for yourself. There is plenty more life for you to enjoy.

I wish you improved health and hope you will continue to post so we can offer support and enjoy your achievements.

Best wishes,

Richju xxxxxx