FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication for anxiety, what was your experience?

Alotgoingon
Community Member
Hi All, I am a mum of a toddler and have had issues with anxiety for as long as I can remember, but recently they have started to get worse (over the past 5 months or so). Some days I feel wonderful and other days I wake up feeling nauseous and jittery, it is really inconsistent. I have a great psychologist but my Dr recently spoke to me about using medication to balance what he thinks is a hereditary chemical imbalance in my brain which is causing the anxiety. I have read about the side effects and they scare me to be honest. I am healthy, I regularly practice meditation and breathwork and am seeing a psychologist which all help in the short term but I am still finding myself in an anxious state throughout the day. Has anyone used medication for a similar issue and noticed an improvement? Just looking for people who have been where I am & have found medication to be useful. I have never been medicated for my anxiety but I'd love to start feeling better!
13 Replies 13

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there

It sounds like you’re doing a number of things to help yourself with your anxiety, so that’s great, though I’m sorry to hear the last few months have been rough.

I don’t want to influence your choice either way in regard to meds, as I think it’s such a personal choice. But, if it’s side effects you’re concerned about, most meds have side effects. So it’s a case of the benefits needing to outweigh those.

I tried a variety (albeit many years ago), but I didn’t feel the meds were helpful for my condition. Modern medications may be better, and I certainly know people on them, who swear by them, but again it’s such an individual thing.

If it’s the side effects that you’re concerned about, more so than the drugs themselves, I wonder if a chat with your gp specifically about that might be helpful?

Katy

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi alotgoingon,

I don't want to confuse you, but I do not think drs currently believe there is such thing as a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I take meds now for sleep and find them useful short term, in crises. I don't think medication helped much with my anxiety, and was rather numbing, I would encourage you to be informed and listen to your own voice, while also trusting input from medical practitioners you trust and like.

Having a Dr I like and respect has helped me to have an open dialogue anout medication, and an ongoing one.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Alotgoingon~

I'd like to join Katy and Sleepy21 in welcoming you to the Forum. I've glad you have met them, their advice is very sensible and I hope I am not presuming when I suspect they have reached a mature way of handling their lives.

I had PTSD, depression bouts and a permanent anxiety condition , and this started a long time ago.

Since then I've tried a lot of different medications with GPs and a couple of psychiatrists and found the regimens either to be ineffective or to have side effects that were simply too limiting. This went on for years.

I was fortunate in that I have had long term a psych I like and respect and together we kept trying. I think one of the big things has been a determination by my medical team not to accept second best but keep working on it.

Actually I've been lucky all along in the medication changes , except right at the start, were planned in consultation with me, and removed upon my request. There was a lot of discussions and I've always been given full information about any proposed drug and my reported reactions accepted straight off as being accurate and acted on.

I am now on a mix of two low dose prescription medications, one very conventional, one somewhat less usual, and between the two my recovery has been very marked. I've been on this regimen for more nearly 10 years and suffer no side effects, no increase in tolerance, and my symptoms quickly reached the stage that it is rare for me to have an excessive bout of anxiety.

I want to stress this is just me. Everyone is different, has different circumstances, and can react differently to the same medication. Plus having medical professionals who remained to treat me, were open, inventive and determined made all the difference.

Now you have two sets of answers:)

I guess as Katy said "I wonder if a chat with your gp specifically about that might be helpful? "

After all you are doing everything else right, and raising a toddler is very taxing and exhausting -as well as hopefully joyful. You are doing great to keep on as you do. Do you have anyone ot support you? Family or a friend perhaps?

In parting I'll mention I've found the free smartphone app Smiling Mind good at getting me out of an anxious and jittery state. It has umpteen exercises to suit everyone, even one that nags me when my mind wanders (which is often:)

https://www.smilingmind.com.au/smiling-mind-app

I hope to hear more from you

Croix

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I hope you don't mind my short reply.

it took me a little while get used to medication. That is, waiting to see the effects, increasing dosage, then changing medication. Found out that one did nothing (IMO) for my anxiety. Changed to a different one. This one worked for both my depression and anxiety.

The first one I tried... my father has been on it for years!

But no good for me.

Other people my try many different ones and ....

My suggestion is to be honest/open as possible with whoever is giving you the scripts so that if changes are needed. That is, if it is not working to make sure you let them know.

Finally, there are no issues for me re embarrassment etc. People around me know I take ADs.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Alotgoingon

I understand the feelings you are experiencing (and thankyou to all the members above for their support)

If our anxiety begins to have an negative impact on our day to day abilility to function meds can be a good idea....yet having regular visits with our GP are invaluable before considering meds (just my humble opinion)

Like Tim (Smallwolf) mentioned above people around me (and on the forums) are well aware I take AD's for my anxiety issues and they have helped my health...personal life...career...since 1996

The meds are never a fix all...yet they let us heal more effectively with ongoing support from our GP/Counsellor

Any questions are always welcome Alotgoingon! There are many gentle people that can be here for you

my kind thoughts

Paul

Thank you so much for your response Katy! I've been touching base with my psychologist much more often and I'm feeling much less anxious. I'm also getting tested for some hormonal imbalances that may be linked to my anxiety. I will see what my results turn up with before deciding on medication. Really appreciate your response xx

Thanks so much Paul, I really appreciate your response. It is something I will seriously consider if my anxiety symptoms flare up again. The Dr I went to wasn't my regular and was very quick to prescribe them so I am exploring other avenues before I decide. I know they can be hugely helpful for some and not others. Thanks again for responding 🙂

Thank you so much for that app suggestion and for being so open with me about your experience. It really helps 🙂 I'm going to download the app now !

Thank you so much for your response. It is much appreciated!! I'm going to monitor my symptoms and touch base with the dr again in a month. I have been feeling really good since having more regular sessions with my psychologist but haven't completely ruled out taking the meds. Thanks again for responding!