FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Massive panic attacks after Vaccine- Please help

Anonymously_Me
Community Member

Hi, so I want to start by saying I'm all for the Covid vaccine and people should get it.

So after I got the jab I knew that I'd feel like fainting and told the nurse and doctor about it- Knowing how my anxiety affects me I wanted to get to it before it got bad. I needed to lie down and then on the way home had to lie down in the car as every time I got up and felt like vomiting. But I knew that would happen so anyway.

I got it a couple of days ago and I keep getting constant anxiety about blood clots and not being able to breath- which has been making it difficult to breathe. Last night I had 2 extreme panic attacks that required my Mum to help me with breathing and counting, I was shaking I was sweating I was rocking back and forth and crying and I was asking my Mum to help me I was in so much mental pain and so emotional and distractions won't helping which I normally do to help calm me down, I tried sleeping with my fidget cube in my hand, listening to music and watching tv and nothing helped because I was in this continuous cycle of fear and my anxiety kept adding to that.

After half an hour I managed to calm down but then it flared up again. I had to wake my brother up and asked if I could watch some TV in his room for a bit which helped. Finally later on I managed to somewhat sleep but even today when I got up now it's got me again and it keeps coming back. Please if anyone can think of anything to help because it's tiring and it's like getting constant panic attacks I've had anxiety for all my life but this is extremely emotionally painful 😞

20 Replies 20

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

We have a residential Mental Health Clinician called Craig. He can reply to these sorts of questions. So please go to

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapie...

And thanks for posting

BTW. I felt dizzy after each jab and had to lie down for 30 minutes then felt fine.

TonyWK

Sophie_M
Hi Anonymously Me, 

We are really sorry that you are feeling so anxious at the moment and that you are facing panic attacks after getting the vaccine. It sounds like you knew it was going to be difficult for you to get the vaccine and you did it anyway - thank you for having so much courage and for looking after your community.

We are also thankful that you have shared your experience here on the forums, we know that there are others that are feeling anxious abou tthe vaccine so hopefully they can feel less alone after reading your post. 

We have an article about feeling anxious about the vaccine here - check it out if you think it will help. Or you can find other trustworthy sources at these links.

https://www.ncirs.org.au/covid-19/covid-19-vaccines-frequently-asked-questions
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines 
https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/covid-19-support/maintaining-good-mental-health

We also reccomend giving our friendly a team a call to talk about these feelings of panic and ways that you can work through them when they appear. It sounds like you have some great strategies in place already which is wonderful, but if you ever want more, or to just chat about it, we are here on 1300 22 4636. Or you can get in touch via webchat if you prefer.

Thank you again for reaching out and being honest about how you are feeling. It is a really tough time right now so please feel free to have a look around at the other conversations going on in this community if you want some more support. We would also welcome you checking back and letting us know how you are going if you feel comfortable. 

Kind regards, 
Sophie M 

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Anonymously Me,

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I was shaking uncontrollably and nearly had a panic attack before my first jab, also because of what I've heard about the side effects to people around my age. I also don't deal very well with needles anymore. So I know how you're feeling, that's completely normal.

Firstly, I'd like to say, it's great that you've recognised that you're struggling with these panic attacks. That's the first step to overcoming them - acknowledging that they're happening. It's also very good to see you making use of our forums and opening up to us about this, thank you for your honesty.

In a short-term sense, you may find it useful to talk to somebody who can provide you non-judgemental support, advice, and immediate assistance. I would encourage you to give us a call on the Beyond Blue Support Service; we're available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636.

In a longer-term sense, I'd have a look into seeing a counsellor, therapist, or psychologist. I was struggling with panic attacks and general mental health things earlier this year, so I went to go see a counsellor who gave me some fantastic advice and pointed me in the right direction for seeking a psychologist. You can also check out the Australian Psychological Society website to search specifically for psychologists/therapists in your area.

You may also find it useful to have a chat to your GP about how you're feeling. They may also give you some great resources to ease your anxiety about the jab.

I wish you well in your situation, and hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Kind regards, SB

Coach Craig
Beyond Blue Staff
Beyond Blue Staff

Hi there Anonymously me thanks for reaching out to our forums community, its good to see that you are practicing your distraction skills when you are feeling anxious and enlist the support of your family.

Call your GP or our support service on 1300 22 4636. Or you can get in touch via webchat.

Coach Craig

Bel79
Community Member

Hi anonymously me,

First Thankyou for the post and helping me realise I am not alone.

I had my first jab 3 weeks ago I was anxious for days before. I physically walked into drs office with a heat pack for comfort. Dr had asked what was wrong I explained that I have anxiety and was really anxious. Instead of trying to calm me she went off on all the possible side effects then came to discussing can cause problems with heart. I am the person who checks her heart rate all the time speeding heart rate and chest pain is one of my symptoms I have paid cardiologists to tell me my heart is healthy but I still worry. I wanted to run out of there but the dr stuck me with the needle before I escaped. I sat in the waiting room with my husband in a massive anxiety attack and over thinking everything. I got through it though. It helped having my husband having the jab at the same time and reassuring me I was ok and my daughters who both have anxiety had week before and were able to reassure me I was ok. Now I have my 2nd jab next week to get through and anxiety is in over drive worrying. What helps me of you aren’t sure go get checked by a dr or emergency. It is surprising how supportive they are and having a medical check up and being told I am ok helps me. Maybe it can help you. From some one who always feels alone to someone who has made me realise I am not. I hope you will be ok and always happy for a chat. Maybe you could have a support person with you next time

Anonymously_Me
Community Member

Thankyou for all the nice and supportive comments I appreciate it. Unfortunately even though side effects are rare rare information about it hasn't been helping and I actually looking up side effects also makes me dizzy. In my mind it's not something I'm worried about but my body just reacts so badly and it becomes a continuous cycle.

I might try to talk to a GP. Some people have even suggested getting a blood test and stuff for peace of mind and reassurance so I might even need to end up doing that. As much as I'm scared of blood tests(I've only had 1 and the nurse had help to calm me). I'd rather go through that then this I'm still feeling dizzy now and I worry how I will be at night time because it gets worse at night and I'm worried I might end up needing to go the hospital.

Update: I went to the GP tonight just for reassurance and my breathing and blood pressure is fine the GP was very helpful and I've been feeling a lot better tonight so hopefully I get a nice sleep 🙂 I'm finding it easier to breathe now and the tightness in my chest is much better.

So if anyone else is experiencing this I recommend going to a GP for peace of mind. 🙂

I am glad you are feeling much better. It is always good to hear from a medical professional that we are ok. I took myself to emergency last night as I am tapering of anxiety med to start a new one and I knew there would be withdrawals and knew the symptoms I keep having panic attacks o settled a bit knowing what was happening and they increased my medication back up. It isn’t a quick fix and still not feeling great today very anxious and overthinking everything but not so stressed and able to deal a little better. Your not alone.

It's good that you were aware of withdrawal symptoms- when I went off my medication a few years ago and weened off slowly for a few months (because I thought I was ok) My anxiety was so bad that I knew I had to get back on them it was very scary.

Is it the 2nd jab that you're stressed about? What helped me get my first one was I refused to think about it or talk about it and told myself I'm not allowed to be anxious about it till the day and tried to distract myself. Mind you I freaked out a lot on the day but I don't think my anxiety got as bad before as it could have got.

Although I totally understand overthinking everything so I can't really offer any advise with that, for me it gets worse at night, sometimes I get up and have a shower or I play solitaire on my phone. I have sudoku and word search books near my bed that are a good distraction as well. Unfortunately distractions don't work with me when I have panic attacks the main thing for me then is focusing on my breathing - My psych from a couple of years ago suggested this app called Flowy which is good to regulate breathing.

Hope you are feeling better today 🙂