FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Low Tolerance for Stress

Guest_5608
Community Member

Hi There BB Folks,

I have suffered from Anxiety and Depression for 15 years now, in earlier years (before I got help) I could still some what function, had two jobs, manage a social life and graduate university.

In the last two years there has been a huge shift and I just can't do anything but the bare basics anymore. I have been also increasingly become more social isolated due to friends getting married, and barely seeing anyone, plus trying to hold on to a toxic job so I can pay for weekly pyscholgist sessions and an ongoing chromic medical condition.

I guess what I'm saying is although I have struggled with Anxiety and Depression along time why now am I not coping anymore? I have recently reached a point where I easily crack, for example, I started crying and screaming in public a few weeks ago because one of my only few friends bailed out on me by phone for a planned catch up, I was a nervous wreck after this, and took me hours of being at home to recover, this worries me as my emotional regulation is gone compared to a few years ago.

I just worry about myself as everything feels like survival. Also, my pyscholgist fees are rising so I will no longer be able to afford weekly sessions anymore.

Any advise would be wonderful.

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Urkel

I understand what you are experiencing and yes it is awful to experience

A double appointment with your GP on a regular basis is Gold. GP's have a better training where anxiety and depression is concerned compared to when I was seeking counsel in the 1980's

Can I ask if your symptoms have a negative impact on your ability to function on a day to day basis?

Paul

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Urkel,

Im sorry you are feeling this way, I understand it’s hard.

Have you been able to speak to a health professional about the shift you have felt?

I understand it’s hard when we find it hard to function on a daily basis.

Please talk to your gp about the way you are currently feeling and how it’s affecting your life.

Usually if you do a mental health plan with your gp you can have 10 free sessions with a psychologist.

minkey
Community Member

Hi Urkel,

With everything you have going on, I'm not surprised you are feeling this amount of pressure. It sounds so exhausting for you, and very challenging.

It sounds to me that you are also feeling very isolated and this is a source of worry or making things feel worse. In addition to following up with your GP like the others have suggested, this might be an area where you could see if you could build up your life a little bit. I know that is so much easier said than done but friends and social connections seem to be really important. Maybe some other people here have some ideas for things you could do there... maybe a support group, or an online forum on a topic/area you really like... things that won't tax you too much but can help you to be more connected at the moment?

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Urkel,

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you have been going through a tough time. You have been strong throughout your whole journey and you should be very proud of yourself for that.

You mentioned that you cannot afford your psychology sessions anymore. That must be very disheartening. Just remember there are many other free support services that can help you in the meantime such as Beyond Blue and Lifeline. You can also ask your local GP if they could refer you to a cheaper psychologist. Most differ in prices.

Stay safe and i am always here to chat.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Urkel,

I'm sorry that you have been struggling with this shift in your life. It's understandable why you feel like you're cracking. As Sophie16 has mentioned above, there are a number of free support services available as well as psychologists that vary in price.

I wonder what coping strategies you used successfully in the past, are there any strategies you can lean on? And with all the stress that you are experiencing, maybe spend some more time in the week unwinding/doing activities that help you relax.

We're always here to talk on the forums.

Hope you're well,

Beeee