FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Job Interview

Nick_Elixir
Community Member
I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon and I was wondering if you had any tips as I am nervous.
5 Replies 5

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi Nick,

I wont be of much use, I get really nervous at interviews too.

The biggest thing I have learnt (for me at least) over the year is don't walk into the interview expecting or thinking you're going to get the job - I feel it puts extra pressure on you.

Dont get me wrong, do your best to wow them and leave a good impression.

for me, I walk into the interview without the mindset of expectation and think of it as just a casual chat about my skills and that's it. I find that this way of thinking calms me down alot.

I hope i make sense haha.

Good luck with your interview!

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nick

I think most people are nervous. I know interviews have changed since my last interview.

can you find out about the company who is interviewing you, so if they ask do you have any questions you will have one.

Also can you list the skills you will bring to the job. They may not ask you but it will hel you feel more confident.

my suggestions maybe out of date . I wish all the best.

Jstar49
Community Member

Hey Nick,

How did you go?

I had a job interview today, so am totally feeling you!

Did you use any strategies that helped you relax? I liked Gambits tip to think of it as a casual chat. Thats exactly how mine felt. Altho I think I fluffed one of the questions about how I have dealt with a situation with someone who shared different values to me.....Oh well.

We shall find out soon enough!

Cheers,

J*

Good luck everyone.

Couple of thoughts.

1. Your interviewers are human too. I'm a CFO and I do heaps of interviews. I bet none of the candidates realise I suffer from GAD.

2. Any good interviewer wants you to do your best. A good hire will make their lives easier.

3. I do heaps of interviews and everyone is nervous. It's actually off-putting if they're not!

4. Don't overthink. We get an hour with you and maybe three others then we take our best guess. We often get it wrong. We also often find it hard to choose.

Hope that helps minimise the anxiety. In terms of practical tips, I find writing out answers to standard questions quite helpful.

ThomasJakeLim
Community Member
Hi Nick I am a job seeker and suffer from anxiety. What I find useful is preparing some questions and answers on paper and bring it with you. The is no rules saying you cannot bring notes...it is not a memory test. Hope that helps. Uncertainty is stressful.