FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

INTERESTING HINTS TO HELP WITH ANXIETY, USED BY CHAMPIONS

The_Bro
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone

A while ago on another thread we were discussing how a daily schedule or routine can help stop your mind wandering, lower anxiety levels and increase focus when it is needed....

I recently came across some rather interesting methods that high achieving Olympic athletes use.

A sports psychologist had this to say - 'Find something that clears the mind and allows you to focus on the right thing at the right time'.

These champions got to where they are by being in control of what they can control - what do they do?

Nicola McDermott - Silver medallist high jumper - doodles in her notepad between jumps.

Harry Garside - Silver medallist boxer - takes extra care to prepare a neat and tidy room before each fight.

Tom Daley - Bronze medallist diver - knits busily between every dive!

As unexpected as these methods are, they all reflect the same thing and are about rhythms or routines that can be controlled.

This got me thinking about if I do anything like this and sure enough, I have a fixed habit or routine before any major activity. For example before a longer bike ride I have an orange juice, half a banana, check my tyres, check my lights, go over my list eg shoes, helmet, gloves etc, and make sure I am dressed for the weather forecast. It I am disturbed in this routine I have to think where I am at and almost start again!

Just wondering if anyone else has a routine or rhythm that they find useful to calm anxiety and help focus?

Regards, The Bro

3 Replies 3

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello the Bro,

Welcome and thankyou for your post!
i can definitely relate to this i have alot of activities i do daily to stay calm with a busy schedule, i always find myself cleaning when im busy or stressed as a distraction and it does make me feel calm as well as organising things, that is a more general one but a routine before i train at gym is getting dressed, stretching, having a small pre working snack, taking my supplements and making sure my headphones are charged before. I find a routine to be the best for me

i hope this helps

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello The Bro, the majority of sportspeople have their own fixed habit or routine before every event, a tennis player does their own routine before each new game, not to the event because every time they serve they do their own 'thing', just as a golfer does and it's not classified as OCD but to reduce any anxiety, if they don't perform this two to one on, they won't play well enough.

It's their way to do the best they can, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but they have tried their best.

Geoff.

Gabs_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi The Bro,

Great post - it definitely made me sit here and reflect on if I have anything like that. If you'd asked me in passing, I would have said no - but when I really sat down and thought about it, I have two things that I do (before starting an exam, assignment, important meeting, sitting in a waiting room or going into an appointment):

• Close my eyes and listen for 5 different sounds and then try and smells 5 different smells - I find it really good for grounding and just takes the edge off anxiety and nerves;
  • Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 2 seconds, breathe out for 6 seconds - great for just focussing on your breathe and turning off the noise in your brain.

I also take a leaf out of Tom Daley's book. I use knitting as something to turn my brain off. It's amazing and helps with anxiety and insomnia. I have quite a number of friends who are doctors who knit as an outlet to turn off after a big day at work.

Cheers,

G