FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’ve have had anxiety for 21 years now.

Avery_lam
Community Member

I’ve had my first anxiety attack when I was about 22. And now after 20 years, it’s so bad I don’t know what to do.

I’ve tried seeing Psycologist over the years and also 2 psychiatrist. At the end of the day, I think I’ve tried a few different ways but anxiety keeps coming back and each time, stronger, harder and heavier.

I basically have light attacks and once in a while, very heavy attacks. I avoid so many things and find safety nets all over the place just to prevent panic attacks.

I’m now to the point that I can’t really travel further than up there road, and really afraid to be alone at home.

I’ve come onto this website and this forum hoping that I can find a way out. Not only but seeking help, maybe my experience can help others prevent anxiety from getting to my level.

I still have hope. I’m still a fighter, but it’s one tough battle. I hope someone out there may experience similar. May have over come this long battle or maybe I can also in return help and share my year though this disorder.

7 Replies 7

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello and welcome. These are my thoughts as they pertain to me. Others may have different experiences and thoughts which is fine.

my own feeling is that I will have anxiety related issues for much of my life. I would worry before diagnosis but now I know what it is. I have coping strategies. However things happen that can make me think that (and yes, on a daily basis) that I am not good enough, that I am going to do something wrong that is unacceptable. I can tell myself that it is not me. And part of that is the getting through each day, knowing I have made it through,.

You said that you have had professional help of different types. How did that go? Were there parts that worked for you?

Are you getting any help at the moment?

I also like you positive attitude and wanting to help others. I found that talking or sharing my experiences with others here also helped me as some of things I would say are reminders to myself. Looking forward to seeing you around here and I hope I can walk a little with you as you find the way out.

Maddeline
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Avery Lam,

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing these difficulties! Just know that you are not alone and it is great and so strong of you for reaching out to this forum. There is a lot of support available on this website. Unfortunately, I personally can not give you direct advice. I hope that someone will read this message and assist you with more personal advice through Beyond Blue. I myself experienced anxiety for a long time and panic attacks are the worst. Have you tried many techniques in helping you to guide yourself through your panic attacks? Some things that I would do is; try and control my breathing by imagining my breath to be blue when inhaling and red when exhaling. Trying to distract my mind by finding 5 orange objects in the room (or any colour you can think of). Possibly writing down things you are feeling anxious about can help identify why you are feeling this way. I know these are only basic techniques, and may not help you, it took me a while to find a few techniques to assist me. But you will find techniques of your own that may make these panic attacks better. I know it feels like it is an endless cycle of panic attacks, but your cycle will break! Keep hope and stay strong!

Thank you for your reply. I’ve been reading other posts after my post tonight. It’s my first day here on this site and I am definitely looking forward to breaking this disorder.

Over the many years, I’ve tried and heard of all the things we can do to calm the attack. My attacks use to rise slowly, the doctors would always use a scale of 1-10 to describe how I am feeling. There are many times when we can stop the anxiety attack. Unfortunately by now. It feels like I can go from a normal state to a heavy attack (say a 7-8) within just a blink. Just a quick thought that comes accross My mind can change and go to a 7-8 within a few secs. We all know that the panic attack only last a few minutes before our body drop dead, or run out of adrenaline that the attack runs out of steam.

I guess now im having to learn to have to deal with this situation I have, this may sound silly, but all those lighter attacks over the years are no longer a problem for me as the ones I have now are nowhere compared to those. I get use to all the physical symptoms of heart racing, sweaty palms, difficulty breathing, ears aching, hot and cold flushes, your legs feel like they want to drop.

The attacks now are all in the mind. You get like a thousand thoughts going through at the same time. Feeling confused as hell in a matter of seconds. You don’t know which way to go and which thought is rational. That’s few minutes which feels like a long time is very hard to handle. I can’t handle it. Now I get to the point even having someone next to me cannot calm me down. But I’m looking for a way out, so that’s why I am here. Anything helps, and maybe this is my last stop.

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Averylam, Thankyou for your post and welcome to the forum,

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through and I'm so sorry to hear that its coming back stronger
Mental health is a constant battle through life and it goes up and down.

Thankyou for coming on here and sharing I'm glad to here you are a fighter you can do this.
In my experience, the only way I improved was to seek professional help and sessions with my Psych helped me a lot as well as practising exercises at home like deep breathing when I felt anxious

Have you tried seeing a psychologist recently as they may be able to help?

Also If you want to talk this through with a Beyond Blue counsellor, we’re on 1300 22 4636 or you can reach us on webchat here, Please reach out whenever you need.

Thank you for your reply. It’s a great start having 2 replies within the hour.

Knowing that people are here and we all have the same goal. The beat the panic attack and know ourself, our body and mind. I think I’ve past a lot of the experience some others have, but reading back to the basic things we can do does remind you what I have done at the beginning when I first seeked help.

Being able to reach out and also people like you that have replied have definitely helped me already. Just being able to describe the emotions and ride the wave of an attack, Will for sure keep me going out there to keep trying. You know how hard it is to have another person on the other end try to understand what we go through. Sometimes I don’t think they will ever know unless they have panic attacks themselves. However I honestly wish they won’t know or even imagine, because it’s the last thing you want someone you know or love to go through this.

Its my first day here. We going to work with each other and share the experience, anyone is free to share and maybe it’s just that one click that will make the change. Although it’s my 21 year, I still know I will overcome it. I don’t want to miss out anymore.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Avery,

Im sorry you have been feeling this way I understand that it’s very hard to deal with.

I understand I also suffered with severe anxiety I was diagnosed with OCD….. I would have panic attacks they were horrible to deal with…. Everything would go so fast inside my mind……. Ive now recovered from this disorder thanks to the professional help I received.

Can I ask if you were ever diagnosed with anything?

or were you ever put on a antidepressant to help you to manage your anxiety?

Was a therapy ever offered to you so you could learn how to manage your anxiety?

I understand how debilitating anxiety can be and I’m so happy to hear you haven’t given up hope….

David_C1
Community Member

Hi Avery. I have been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for 9 months now and i've had enough. I'm becoming a different person because all I do is panic. I'm going to see my GP and ask for a medication such as benzodiazepine. I know these can become addictive but I need some quality of life now. I have had some success with Beta blockers. If benzodiazepine doesn't appeal perhaps this may help.

Cheers David