FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m terrified that I have MS

that guy
Community Member

Hello Everyone

i have health anxiety and I’m currently going through my worst attack right now. It all started about a month ago, when my muscles started twitching and pain that felt like someone was poking me with a needle. My arms and legs were also feeling like they were tired. These symptoms would come and go, and wouldn’t last too long. After a blood test about 2 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Glandular fever, which made me feel better that it wasn’t serious, and the symptoms died down.

However on Wednesday the symptoms came back, and now I’m also light headed, with some headaches and even my eyes have been hurting, along with itching all over my body, these symptoms are usually worse in the morning. my brain has gone from Calm, to full on anxiety mode. And of course I looked on google to try and get some reassurance, and it told me that I had MS. I’ve seen how MS can affect people, and I’m terrified now.

I don’t know if it’s worth going back to my doctor as I think she may say it’s just the glandular fever, but honestly I don’t know what to do, my Parents are dismissive, I don’t see my psychologist for another month and a half and I gotta go to work today. I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

sorry for the rant, but thanks for reading aswell

48 Replies 48

SCoo
Community Member

Hey.

hope you are doing ok.
I always go to the doc if I’m concerned about things.

I have recently tried to stay of google as every time I would look something up I would go on a clicking frenzy and become somewhat obsessed about diagnosing myself.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi that guy,

Thank you for your post and I'm glad that you're here. I'm sorry that you've been experiencing these symptoms and I can imagine how distressing it would be being convinced it's MS (or any chronic type illness).

I don't see any harm in going to the doctor, especially if you think it will put your mind at ease. Even if they do say that it's glandular fever, at least then you will know for sure.

One thing that might be worth knowing though is that a lot of the symptoms for MS can also double up as anxiety (tingling, numbness, fatigue, dizziness, pains).

If you're interested, Mindspot offer free online courses on anxiety (with support of a psychologist) and CCI NSW have some printouts that you can read (written by psychologists). I was thinking that if you're open to it, it might help tie you over until your next appointment.

RT

Samfromwa
Community Member
I'm going through the same exact worries. Googled and it said ms. I have anxiety issues also. I saw a neurologist. He says it's stress anxiety. I get weird shocks in my feet but only twice that last a second. Pins and needles a crawling sensations, hands and feet. Neuro did the clinical ms test, said I don't have it but to help me with my concerns booked a brain and spine mri to check. I get results on the 3rd of December. I know exactly what you're going through and it's hard but maybe a mri might make you feel better. I've hears of others getting these type of issues because of stress anxiety.

Hey romantic. When you say a anxiety can double up, do you mean some of the symptoms can mimic ms symptoms of ms. My neuro thinks it's anxiety sensory issues for me and not ms.

Thanks for your reply, I've made an appointment with my doctor on Monday! The good thing about her is that she is fully aware of my anxiety issues. I may have to go back on medication, but honestly as it helped me a lot last year, that's something I'm seriously considering.
I did some more digging around and it seems that Glandular fever seems to knock people around a lot, and Post viral can be even worse! I'm hoping this is the case at least. I got a good nights sleep last night, so for once I'm not too tired!
The past couple of months has also been a stressful time due to dealings with Centerlink. This was when I noticed some symptoms start
The internet is a scary place sometimes! Especially to anxiety sufferers.

Good luck with your MRI mate. I dunno if my Doctor will send me to a Neurologist, but i'll find out on Monday, I'm just hoping its just Stress anxiety or part of the Glandular fever, I've never had all these symptoms at the same time and its scary. Glandular fever has taken a huge toll on me, and it also could be that my body is reacting to that, i'll find out more on Monday, wish me luck!

Hi samfromwa,

Yes that's exactly right. 🙂

Often when people think of anxiety symptoms they think of worry or panic attacks - but it's so much more complicated! Even though it might be weird to hear, it does make sense if all the symptoms could be put down to anxiety rather than MS.

RT

Hi that guy,

Oh that's great news - I'm glad that you could get in so soon with your GP. Also really glad to hear you got a good nights sleep! That sure helps.

Yes that makes sense. Glandular fever knocks the body around as is, let alone dealing with Centrelink on top of all of that.

Hopefully your GP gives you some reassurance. If you want to, I'd love to hear how you get on Monday.

RT

Yes I get those weird neurological tingling and numbness type of feelings from my anxiety and have done for many years on and off. I am particularly anxious at the moment about my health and that's what most of my anxiety is about. But I have just been told I have 2 brain aneurysms and now I'm thinking that all those symptoms are from that. But Im pretty sure it's my anxiety in overload. The symptoms are real but they come and go and I keep trying to tell myself if it was more than just my anxiety it would be there all the time. The more you think about it and keep looking out for the symptoms the more they come. It's a vicious circle.