FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm really struggling with a situation and I'm freaking out

Hoping4Hope04
Community Member
Hey, this is my first post here so I'm a little nervous, but I want to get some advice on how to deal with something I've been dealing with. In a short summary, When I was 14. I liked a girl online a lot, we didn’t know each other outside of the internet and never met. But I asked her for a video of herself dancing around in an outfit that I found attractive at the time. I think I may of pressured her by saying please one too many times. She eventually said yes and sent the video. There was no nudity, no body parts revealed or teased, and she was not doing anything explicit. I feel really bad for ever asking for it and I'm not sure what to do now. I've been really freaking out that I will go to prison or end up on an offenders list and those thoughts have me terrified. I have reached out to councillors from this website and a few others about the situation, and while they have all reminded me that what I did was not very likely illegal. I still feel really terrible and I dont know how to deal with this guilt and regret I have from the situation. I feel like I dont have a lot of self worth and that I feel like I deserve to feel really bad after all of these years. Those people also attempted blackmail on me and that has left me a bit lost in where I stand in all of this. The person said I was unforgivable and I really want to grow and not have this affect me too much. I really want to be able to not worry about this but I dont know if I deserve to or if I know how too. Its been really affecting me and I'm getting really worked up over it all. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with overthinking and guilt?
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear
Thank you so much for being so brave and open about this issue. 
Shame is an incredbly hard thing to deal with on so many levels, and can be truly devastating to endure. As terrible as guilt and shame is though, it's a powerful reminder that you are aware of your impact on others and care about how others feel! Such an essential skill for life!

I congratulate you on already reaching out to Counsellors and supports, let me recommend contact with HeadSpace - you can find them at headspace.org.au, or give them a call on 1800 650 890

it might also be really useful to try kids helpline - 1800 55 1800 - as they would have a lot of experience with the things that impact people back when you were that age.

Definitely, We are so proud of you for seeking peer support and insight, and I am sure one of our community champions would love to be there for you, and will be commenting soon,

Thank you again for your bravery and mindfulness, please do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime 24/7 on 1300 22 4636, or on the chat at https://beyondblue.org.au/support-service/chat

Stay safe,

Sophie M

Thank you so much Sophie for the kind words. Just wondering, from what I said above, could I get into legal trouble or end up in jail or on an offenders list? I'm struggling dealing with those thoughts and I'm struggling to find clarity in all of this

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Hoping4Hope04,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand it’s difficult.

Intrusive thoughts can be terrifying I understand.

I’m sorry someone tried to blackmail you.

I understand that anxiety can be difficult to deal with I recommend that you make an appointment with your your gp and do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many strategies to help you to manage you anxiety.

A psychologist can also teach you how to challenge your thoughts.