FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how to cope with triggering threads?

startingnew
Community Member

hi everyone

i think this is the right place to put this thread..

im wondering how other people cope when they come to read a triggering thread/post?

i know there is a delay in responses due to moderation but the wait sometimes makes me nervous

when i start to read triggering posts and when i cant answer it or feel helpless to post it really sets my anxiety off

i know its not up to me how people respond or feel etc and thats why we do have the moderators to monitor as well but it still really sets my anxiety off,

im wondering how other members cope with triggering posts?

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Startingnew, what the idea of keeping out of returning back into depression is to avoid any trigger points, and these you may have been able to learn over a long period, and once you know that there could be one approaching, that's when you must step aside and let it go through or you go another way.
If however you feel strong enough to handle any looming threat, then you have become stronger than you could have possibly imagined, unfortunately this doesn't happen that often.
The wait and the anticipation of how your reply maybe interpreted by the person you replied to, or by what others have to say, which may go against what you have said, is highly likely to increase your anxiety, and is not what I would suggest, it could cause a relapse, that perhaps could have been avoided.
It seems as though your diving into a pool full of sharks, hoping that you won't be bitten.
If you see a post that you feel could trigger an negative reaction, is it worth the chance, although there could be a possibility that some people want to go head to head with a problem as a means of overcoming their depression, but doing it this way you have to be strong to pull away when it gets too much. Geoff.

thanks for your response and advice Geoff

much appreciated