FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do you manage really bad bouts of anxiety? I cant live like this

Shizzle
Community Member
I have had anxiety all my life - but have mostly self managed it - grabbing soma holidays from time time when I have really needed it from reluctant doctors and its worked well for the most part for me personally

Although I occasionally I get depression - I am not overly prone to it - but the anxiety can be bad - but never had anxiety in this flavour

Anyway- recently I had a whole tonne of life changes hit my life at once - more than I would think is reasonable for anyone to take on at once (both good and bad )

Anxiety got so bad - I just wasnt coping at all with moods swinging from one side of the spectrum to the other- I went to the doctor for the first time looking for a longer term solution as well as a temporary soma holiday to get through a few weeks - finding myself racing and ranting one minute and well you know what anxiety is like when its at it height- I got put on anti depressants which are supposed to have an anti anxiety effect as well

Its been about 3 going on 4 weeks - and I am getting intrusive thoughts (which is highly unusual but could be also due to the type of stress I am under ) - and honestly I dont feel much better and I am still swinging like a pendulum in moods

My question is how do I manage anxiety this bad that you are all over the place ?

I cant live like this - its driving me insane - I am not managing it - I can barely pretend in public that I am

What do I do?
6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Dear Shizzle, 

We are so sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time at the moment, and we are glad that you have taken the time to share what's been happening for you with us. 

We're wondering if you've spoken to your GP since trying the new medication. Sometimes it takes a while to find the correct type of medication or dosage. It sounds like you are experiencing a range of symptoms so it might even be best to see a psychiatrist so that you can ensure you have the right diagnosis, and therefore treatment options. 

Also, we encourage you to receive psychological support if you don't have it already. A psychologist will be able to teach you strategies to help manage your bouts of anxiety. We have some information on managing anxiety here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/anxiety-management-strategies. This thread may also be useful - https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/self-help-tips-for-managing-anxiety. A psychologist will be able to provide you with tailored support specific to you and your circumstances. If you speak to your GP, they should be able to refer you to a psychologist under Medicare. 

You are also more than welcome to contact our Support Serivce. We have counsellors available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. They can talk through these feelings with you and offer support, advice and referrals.

You have mentioned not being able to live like this, being driven insane, and not being able to manage. If things become too overwhelming for you, and if you have thoughts of suicide or self-harm, please know that there are crisis support services available such as Lifeline (13 11 14), Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467). 

We hope you find posting on the forum, and the replies, useful. We encourage you to continue to post when or if you feel up to it. There is a lot of support around so you are not alone. Things can, and often do get better for people with the right supports in place. 

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Shizzle,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear you feel all over the place with this bad anxiety. I understand it's something that has been going on for a while now, but it sounds like you're having a particularly tough time with it right now.

Other than Sophie_M's great suggestions on getting a psychologist or just giving the support lines a call from time to time, I thought I'd also just share a couple of my own experiences and what helped me.

My issue tends to be more stress and depression, but they inevitably lead to more anxiety too when I am feeling quite emotionally drained. I tend to also feel a bit all over the place and I know when I'm just not managing it anymore. I've learned to recognise my tipping point and I will put myself straight into comfort zones, like listening to my favourite albums basically all day, and I try to organise a catch-up with a friend at least once on the weekends for the next few weeks. It doesn't necessarily get me out of the stress straight away, but it helps me steady myself so I can work out what is happening (with my psychologist) and work my way back into regular life again.

For me, reducing stress and making sure I've got access to my friends and support is the key to helping me feel safe. I give myself a lot of leeway when I realise I'm not okay, and I cancel a lot of things I wasn't particularly keen on anyway.

Do you think there is anything you can do here to also remove some of the stressful things going on, or to get consistent access to your supports? In fact, even just posting here is a really good start to building your support network, and I really hope you find it's of some benefit!

James

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Shizzle,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand that anxiety can be extremely hard to deal with especially if it’s at high levels.

As Sophie has mentioned I’d highly recommend that you go back to your gp and explain how you are feeling and also do a mental health plan with your gp this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many strategies for anxiety.

Antidepressants can take up to 6 weeks before they work to there full capacity…. In my experience with antidepressants things got worse before they got better for me so hang in there….

I have a lived experience of severe anxiety OCD I experienced a lot of intrusive thoughts that distressed me.

If you are feeling distressed by your intrusive thoughts please mention this to your gp and psychologist.

I have now recovered from my condition and life couldn’t be better on the other side, so please hold onto hope…. Your condition is temporary and with the correct hope you can recover.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

With the correct help you can recover.

I understand how anxiety can make us feel like things are going very fast…… as you mentioned it’s driving you in sane.

I thought I was going crazy when I had severe anxiety but it was just the anxiety…….

Have you tried meditation?

Have you practiced deep breathing?

It was a relief to read that you have overcome anxiety/ocd. I'm about to have a medication change and am in therapy. Some days I feel like there is no hope for me but it's encouraging to know ppl do get better.

Thanks for sharing

Searchingforhope
Community Member

I recommend getting professional help as soon as possible.

I was noticing that my anxiety was worsening and now I can't manage at all. I haven't worked in over a month.

I feel if I had of slowed down and asked for help sooner I may not have had a breakdown to this degree. Be kind to yourself.

All the best