FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I deal with rapid thoughts?

Lillybell
Community Member

Just wondering if others on here deal with a brain that doesn't stop. No I'm not a genius! I'm talking about thoughts that don't cease. I haven't experienced anything like what has been occurring lately. My internal, stream of consciousness talk is non stop. It goes with me everywhere. Just a rapid procession of thoughts about everything. I'm just wanting there to be an ad break! So I can go and get a cuppa! I joke, but experiencing it isn't that funny, especially when you realise that the checkout operator has asked you the same question over and over and has that exasperated look, that says, 'Earth to Mars'!  I've been studying, I've been having some heavy online conversations and I'm trying to do all the practical things that need doing. But I think I've gone into  system overload.  How do I stop the machine gun rapid thoughts that are crowding my head? Anyone experienced something similar?

4 Replies 4

scorch
Community Member

I know exactly what you mean!!! My brain doesn't stop and it makes me exhausted all the time.  I've found that if I don't channel my brain into something productive I'll have a big melt down. 

I write poetry or song lyrics to help calm my brain, if I can write down all the stuff that's happening in my mind it gives me a bit of a break.  Also, sometimes I find a space by myself, crank up some fast, heavy music and just move and sing along with the lyrics until I can't talk anymore. 

Sometimes I can read a book and escape my brain for a little while, but it's not as effective as I get easily distracted by the thoughts in my mind.  Sometimes the book triggers more stuff for my brain to obsess over, so if it's really bad I steer clear of books.

The constant stream of thinking never stops, but channeling it into something physical helps me a lot.  Maybe doing something physical or creative will help channel your brain too?  Is there something you really love doing?

MaryG
Community Member

How about meditation? I find it really useful to switch off my brain. I use a mindfulness app on my phone just for 10 minutes. Surprising how well it works.

Lillybell
Community Member

I think what's happened is that I've got too much stimulation. I'm studying and it has required a lot of thinking but I don't know how to turn it off during the down time. And it involves a lot of reading that I think about too!  Your idea about writing the thoughts down is a good one. It does help to empty some of it. Need to get back to some music too I think. 

scorch
Community Member

I think focusing the energy of an active brain on one thing - whether it be writing, meditation, music or whatever.... well it helps give the rest of your brain a breather.  Instead of focusing on many things all at once, which is overwhelming, by putting all that energy on one thing at a time it can help your mind get organised.  It's more manageable...

gah, words aren't coming out right at all.  But I hope you understand what I'm trying to say 🙂