FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Health anxiety

Chriss84
Community Member
Hi I have had anxiety for a while it started as social I have been able to work passed that now it has come back as a Heath anxiety I have been to the doctors more times than i can remember this year and nothing is ever wrong but in my mind everything I feel is a serious illness i am on meds and I go to therapy but lately I just can't seem to control it I find myself getting lost in trying to find something wrong with myself to the point I convince myself I am really sick and start the have the symptoms of what ever I think I have found when really there is nothing there I am sick of feeling like this does anyone have any advice on how to over come this   It is starting to take over my life 
6 Replies 6

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chris,

Have you discussed your meds with your doctor? Sometimes they can stop working for whatever reason and you might need to start a different one. I've had to stop and start a few but I usually always find the right one with the doctor's help. Also the brain has an amazing ability to cause the symptoms of something we fear - e.g. panic attacks are the body believing we're in danger, raising our heartbeat, increasing body temperature, stopping autonomic processes like digesting and breathing normally. 

One thing I've found really helpful is meditation. It's hard to get a hang of but once you can it can really help you slow your mind down and stop those automatic thoughts that make you feel like everything bad that can happen will happen. There are plenty of guided meditation videos on youtube so go check some out, lie or sit somewhere quiet and try to focus entirely on the spoken words. It can be really difficult when you're anxious but I promise it can help a bunch.

Also, actually saying things aloud to yourself can help. Actually telling yourself "there is absolutely nothing wrong with me, it's all in my head" a few times can make a difference.

All the best,

Pat.

Steven1
Community Member

Hello Chris. I can certainly relate to your post. I have been preoccupied with health issues for a while now. I have started to accept that it is part of my depression and that nothing is actually wrong with me. I also blame the internet as it is so easy to Google symptoms and it always seems to come up with cancer! 

My first piece of advice would be to stop looking up symptoms online. It is the worst thing you can do. And use evidence you have such as clear tests to tell you all is ok 

You will get through this. Regards, Steven 

Macka90
Community Member

Hi chris

i know how u feel, mine started 2 weeks ago and I have since started meds and talking to community mental health team that come to my house, but also a big part in me starting to control this is I say to myself over and over in my head and sometimes out loud THERE IS NO POINT IN STRESSING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT ISNT THERE. It works I also deep breaths help as well.

within that 2 weeks I stressed myself out so bad thinking there was something wrong with me that my body crashed and I ended up going to emergency where I got the help I needed.

DO NOT GO TO GOOGLE FOR ANYTHING, it makes it worse trust me I done this and that's what made me go into over drive and my body crash, for anything medical go to ur GP and ask for test to be done so u can put ur mind at ease, also ask about new meds.

if you need to chat please write again. Would love to hear how u are going.

Chriss84
Community Member

Hi pat                               Thanks for the post I have tried a couple of different ones the one I am on now give me the least amount of side effects.                                          As for the other tips you suggested I will have to give them a go hope I can find something that works.                     

Beachie
Community Member
Hi Chris,  I understand what you are going through, in my early 20's I was always at the doctors thinking I had every awful disease.  All my tests were clear.  This went on for many years. What was helpful to me, was doing things to get your mind off your health concerns.  I started walking along the beach, I took up an interest that occupied my mind. Talking with a friend can also make you feel better.   I found that if I stood still, the mind started to take over & the health concerns started again.    Also I did have some therapy sessions which were of great value.  Eventually, it all went away.  Sometimes we just need to feel that help is there & that in itself can make a huge difference.  Good luck with it all.   

Chriss84
Community Member
Hi a few weeks on and I have got my anxiety under control thanks everyone for some advice on how to get though this hope everyone is doing good.                                                         Thanks Chris