FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Having sinus surgery on Monday and anxiety has kicked in.

Molly06
Community Member

Hi,

I have had chronic sinusitis for over 10 years and have been putting off the surgery because I have heard it is quiet painful afterwards and it's 10 days recovery.

I finally realized it's time to do something about it though as I'm sick of being on antibiotics . I have had a few operations in the past with no problems but I think because of it being my face it's why I'm so nervous.

ive been trying not to think about it too much but the day is getting closer and now I'm very nervous. I have had anxiety throughout the night and woken up with it.

Ive been trying to tell myself it's going to be fine and how good it will be afterwards but this isn't really helping.

Just hoping some people out there have had the same op can give me some confidence about it and share your happy stories maybe?

i have been told by others that it is worth it but the more positive stories the better.

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Molly,

My sister had a major sinus operation about two years ago now, and she has had very positive results. There was associated pain, but she was fine because the doctor and nurses took care of her and gave her take-home advice for when she was recovering. Part of the reason my sister's sinus operation was so successful is because she followed the exact advice given by her doctor once she got home.

My Dad also has bad sinuses, which both my sister and I inherited. My sister's sinus problem was fixed with the operation, while my internal sinus issues are slightly different. I used to get sinusitis all the time as a teenager, but now it is better. I have almond milk now instead of regular milk, which helps me feel less congested and mucus-y, as gross as that sounds!

Sinus operations are performed frequently these days, so doctors have experience with this. It is still natural to be nervous. This anxiety is more intense than nerves however, so talk to your doctor (GP) either in-person or over the phone, about your concerns. Seek emotional support from family, and make sure you have someone reliable to take you to hospital on the operation day.

I hope your anxiety isn't causing you too much distress.

It would be great to hear back from you 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Molly06
Community Member

So I had my surgery on Monday, all went well and not too much pain in nose but loads in throats from tubes.

Today I've gone downhill a bit though, dizzy, congested and sick in stomach.

Just hoping this is all normal, usual anxieties kicking in and over thinking these symptoms. Keep trying to reassure myself and hoping tomorrow I'm feeling loads better.

Zeal
Community Member

Hi again Molly,

I'm glad your surgery is done and went well. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling so well today though. The symptoms you described are probably quite normal to have post-surgery, but keep in touch with your doctor if you're concerned. It's ideal if close family members are able to be contacted; for instance, to help with a meal or to keep you company for a little while.

I really hope you're feeling much better tomorrow too!

You are welcome to keep talking here 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal