FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

hating school

user9463728
Community Member

ever since lockdown last year, i haven't been able to enjoy school at all. i went through a 2 month lockdown about 2 years ago and i went back to school and felt fine. ever since the recent lockdown all i can think about is being back at home. i cry and beg my parents to not let me go everyday. i spend most of my time wondering why i hate it so much. i find the kids at school immature and annoying but thats not why i hate it. i have a half decent group of friends and we get along well. i have many friends outside of my group too. i think the teachers and subjects are fine. im getting good grades. i have no idea why i hate it. during school all i do is get the work done and spend the rest of the time day dreaming and looking at the clock.

recently i havent been able to enjoy the weekends either, i feel miserable. some weekends i feel good and the next ill want to die. ill be trying to go out with my parents for lunch and ill just start balling my eyes out because i know if i enjoy going out, ill have school again and feel even worse. my parents suggested changing schools but i have no idea if that would make things worse or better since i dont even know why i hate school. ill keep dreaming of moving countries and starting over and ill be so happy. then ill wake up and feel terrible because i know its never going to happen.

would changing schools be a good idea or not? what would help me?

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi user9463728,

We are sorry to hear that you have been struggling to enjoy school andthat you've been feeling so miserable. We just want to remind you that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

It might also be worth reaching out to Kids Helpline. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under. 

Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your story. I can hear how distressed and conflicted you are feeling. It must be so difficult not knowing why you are feeling this way.

Have you found out what your triggers are? What is really making you feel like this? Maybe it is a certain person or just having to get out of bed to learn?

If you feel as if moving schools will solve all your problems then it could be an option. However, if you find out that it isn't the school making you feel this way, then seeing a mental health professional can really help.

Have you considered seeing your school counsellor?

Stay safe and I am always here to chat.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Agree with Sophia, see the school counsellor.

Also, we dont know your age, if you can repost that, it would help.

I'm not going to swing you away from school, it's an important process to accomplish, however, if we were all scholars we wouldnt be able to fulfill other employment vacancies in the areas that dont need high school certificates'.

At 17yo I joined the AirForce. You might consider such a move. Adult wages, travel etc but also you can complete education while there at your will.

TonyWK

im 15. personally id still like to stay in school and ive decided to see a gp soon.

Hi user

Please feel free to return to this page with an update if you feel like it.

Thanks

TonyWK