FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Has medication helped you with severe anxiety inducing phobia?

Mumma_of_two
Community Member
Hello,

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who has found medication effective for helping with a phobia? I suffer with a severe phobia of a specific illness (I'm sorry, I can't write the name) but this phobia rules my life and stops me from functioning like a regular human. I'm suffering immensely, but there's also a follow-on effect for my husband and my children. Plus I’m a full time uni student and my assignments are suffering because of it as well.
I'm just so completely overwhelmed by it and to be honest I'm so drained by it that all I want to do is cry. It consumes my every waking thought, and it often infiltrates my nightmares.
I’m sorry for rambling, I just want to know if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? And if you’ve tried medication, does it stop the constant thoughts?
I just want the constant thoughts of my phobia to stop, I just want to think about normal every day things. I’m falling apart at the seams and it's getting harder and harder to be the mum and wife that I so desperately want to be again.

Sorry for writing such a big post
8 Replies 8

TheWookie
Community Member

Cool post! I do know that there are meds that can reduce anxiety yeah. And I have previously been given something which made me cool as a cucumber for a while. The problem being that the meds can wear off, and the thoughts are still there. And they can be even worse just because you managed to have a break from them for a while. So the danger of the meds is that you would have to stay medicated to avoid the thoughts. 

I would be more likely to recommend looking into therapy based solutions like cat or dbt.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi mof2

medication has helped me in the very short term but in the long term has caused more issues for me.
I'd say keep an open mnd about meds and who knows if they can help, but it's good to know that they are not effective in treating every problem and do take time if they do work.

there are a range of treatments for phobias and anxiety - you can get better!! i hope u can find something that suits for/works for u

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mumma of two, and a warm welcome to the site.

Medication will help to a certain degree but it depends on how strong your anxiety is and the type of phobia you are suffering from.

I take medication and it helps with my anxiety but it hasn't stopped my phobia of being around feathered birds, there is no way I could walk into a bird aviary and certainly wouldn't go into a house where budgie is flying around, so with this, the medication hasn't helped me, but believe in many other ways it has.

There is a program called 'desensitisation' which you can eventually do by yourself or be taught by reading an article, the other option is for a psychologist to teach how it's done.

If you have a phobia of, let's say birds, (which I haven't done myself but know it would help me) is best if you can google on how to achieve this, but basically, you are shown pictures of birds and once you feel comfortable then you move onto the next stage where you can a baby bird in your hand and eventually go through the stages where you can hold a feathered bird and when all of this has been accomplished, the phobia has been cured.

Have a read on the techniques and let us know if that helps.

Geoff.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Mumma of two,

Have you seen your gp ? I had severe anxiety OCD I have now recovered from this.... this condition was very debilitating... with OCD it is associated with intrusive thoughts.....

How did I recover? My gp put me on an antidepressant for my anxiety and I saw a clinical psychologist and phyciatrist for strategies and support this then led me to a ocd clinic were I did therapy were I learned to master my ocd...

There is hope you can recover with the correct help.....

im here if you want to chat 😊

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Mumma of two, just wondering whether you have looked at these sites and please never worry about coming back to us.

Geoff.

Mumma_of_two
Community Member

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.

I made the leap to try medication as I was at my wits end. I have been taking them for 8 days now and it has been a very rough ride. I have been feeling ill almost daily, I'm extremely tired (I take them at night so I'm not too drowsy during the day), I have no appetite whatsoever (I haven't eaten an actual meal since I started, just the odd snack on dry biscuits here and there, however I'm told this is ok and to do whatever my body feels like) but the worst part is that it has sent my anxiety throug the roof. I was told by my doctor that all of these things would happen but I wasn't expecting it to be this horrific.

I have since spoken to a close friend who happens to be a pharmacist and he explained it in a lot more detail and has made me feel better about my symptoms. I was worried that I should be feeling better by now but he assured me that unfortunately this is normal but it will get better in time. To say it's been tough is an understatement, in fact, it's the worst that I have ever felt in my entire life and I have to force myself to take my tablet each night because I know how they make me feel... BUT... My pharmacist friend believes I'll be on the up and up soon and the fact that I'm having these side effects just prove that the tablets are doing their job in balancing out the chemicals in my brain.

Again, thank you all so much for your support.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Mumma Of two...

I also take anxiety meds..I was in hospital when I started them a few years back...I was one of the lucky ones and had not really many side effects..

My Psychiatrist who put me on them did tell me that I may feel worse with my anxiety as the meds take around 6-8 weeks to work properly...Now I don’t want to stop as the meds have taken the edge of my anxiety and with some counselling am learning how to manage my anxiety better...

Wishing you all the best luck in the world dear mumma of two...

Please talk here anytime you feel up to it...

My kindest thoughts lovely mumma of two..

Grandy..

Hi mumma of two,

yes I remember when I started my antidepressants my anxiety got worse for a little while but eventually it got a lot better....

I remember my gp said to me things will get worse before they get better....when I started my medication..

hang in there you are going to make it 😊